Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question 1). where and when is this 17lr ammo and barrel coming out..... i really want that

question2). i got a buttler creek 20" bull barrel ss fluted and ported and i as wondering if they are realy good barrels and should i free float it or have a pressure point?

question3). what ammo would likly be best for this? i am using rem. vipers. and they shoot very well... in 10 shot i am at 1/2" @100 yards and i have mainly one big hole. a few flyers now and then.

what is probably better? wolf. those remingtons im using or cci green tag?

tell me what you think about this idea fo a pressure point.
1) cut a rectanglure groove in the bottom of the barrel bed aproxx. 2 inches back from the end of the stock.
2)cut a peice of aluinum the shape of the groove out of thin plate
3)drilla hole through the exact center of that groove in the bed
4)on the out side of the stock countersink the hole so the screw
can be recesed.
5)put a threaded sleeve similar to the brass one in the hole and fasten it securly in there like the main assembly screw that holds the gun in the stock
6)put a peice of 3m foam tape on the aluminum plate and the trimm it and lay it in the groove foam side up and reassemble the gun.
7)now go and shoot the rifle and start adding torque to the screw but not over tighten it so that you can "tune " the pressure point to the barrell and ammo combo.

this is a idea that i got when i saw in the "tips and tricks" to put a peice of 1/4 x 1" foam tape in the bed but tha will vary presser depending on a lot of things like as in my case a flute runs the bottom lenght of the barrell or if a wood stock changes a tad in different weather or if you decice to use a different ammo or how big you barrel channel is due to changin variences from manufacturer to manufacturer...ect.ect......

tell me if you have any inprovement on this idea

basicly my idea act simmilat to a bottle jack 4 a car , turn the screw and you get more up force

i even thought that tow or three may give you even more precice adjustment or even a real long one that you have 4-5 or 6 screw adjustments olng the base of the bed.

but i will use threadlock to secure them from changing while shooting.

sorry for the long post , ideas just start forming like the voices in my head

ahhhhhhhhhhh i just keep thinking............sssssssssssssss....boooom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry ....new question

can i convert my 10/22 to 22 mag and 17hmr? sorry but im tired at 3 inthe morn where im at and dont want to "search"

·
Registered
112 Posts
You shouldn't free float a heavy barrel with the 10/22's aluminum receiver without providing some kind of support somewhere, either by bedding the action and the first few inches of barrel or by adding a pressure pad in the forend of the stock.

The tension device you are describing is pretty much the same as the bughole tuner made by hightower innovations. Search for "bughole tuner" and you'll find out everything you want to know.

Oh, and if you really are getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
OMG!!!

Did no one else notice the 1/2" at 100 yards?!?!?! Taht's amazing for a 10/22, especially one that's not super-dee-dooper custom. (Schilen, lilja, force), Wow, that's like shooting an anschutz 1517. Those are some amazing groups. I wouldn;t touch it if I was getting that kind of shots.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
1st 10/22 said:
OMG!!!

Did no one else notice the 1/2" at 100 yards?!?!?! Taht's amazing for a 10/22, especially one that's not super-dee-dooper custom. (Schilen, lilja, force), Wow, that's like shooting an anschutz 1517. Those are some amazing groups. I wouldn;t touch it if I was getting that kind of shots.
Yeah, I noticed :)......hmmm, what can I do next for the next mod?! heheheheh, yeah right.

Even if it was a mis-type that should've been 50yds then that aint all that bad either.

Perf

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rem. Vipers

Can you tell me what lot of these you have?I've never heard of this ammo shooting groups even in the same time zone as 1/2" @100yds.Imagine what that gun would do with some 'match' fodder,like Fed bulk.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

thanx for all the feed back. im not sure what lot they are i just know i bought 20 boxes and left wally world dry. i want to try to use a better ammo becayse i get 1/2" groups at 100 yards but i dont count the flyers , 1-3 but normaly 2 per clip and as for converting my 10/22 to mag..... i am not gonna i just wondered if i can

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also if big mike wants, you can take away that info on converting to mag so no guest sees it and trys it

by the way big mike is also my nick name, i weightlift for fum or when i cant shoot

·
Registered
400 Posts
1/2 inch groups at 100 yds?

I'm glad Custom 10/22 qualified his claim by saying he doesn't count his 10% to 30% fliers. I was itching to buy out the local supplies of viper ammo! (Which probably would have been a great waste of time and money, as vipers have performed particularly badly in all of my .22's in the past.) Don't want to start a war here, but I strongly believe that all shots in a string should always be included when determining group size -- even flyers we are sure we ourselves caused for one reason or another. I do so even for my own records. A given rifle's performance under "perfect" conditions is both unknowable and irrelevant. The only accuracy that is of value to me is that which is actually produced by a firearm when I am pulling the trigger. Thus, every aimed shot is a legitimate part of the data. If we start to play statistical games, then we are no longer operating in the real world. Maybe that is why flyers make me so crazy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.