Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My purple-dyed moderately modified factory carbine(Super-Stock?) is slowly but surely coming together.All I lack (besides scopin' it)is the metal (aluminum)buttplate that will be polished(it's on it's way).

1.The polished reciever came out great!!Especially considering how rough it was to start with.Should I put something on it to help it keep it's mirror-like shine?Like car wax or something?

2.The barrel is stainless.Can it be polished w/the buffing wheel to shine like the reciever,or would I probably just screw it up?

I've concentrated on the cosmetics to begin with,but will be sending the bolt to Randy eventually so he can work his magic and will probably replace the hammer to get the trigger pull down a bit,but heck,even after installing the new bbl.(standard S/S take-off)it shoots so good I kind'a hate to mess with it. :D )

Gotta scope it though.These 50 year old eyes ain't what they used to be. :(

Thanks,
BW

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
BobbyWins said:
1.The polished reciever came out great!!Especially considering how rough it was to start with.Should I put someting on it to help it keep it's mirror-like shine?Like car wax or something?

2.The barrel is stainless.Can it be polished w/the buffing wheel to shine like the reciever,or would I probably just screw it up?
1) I recommend either just using Flitz or Mother's wheel polish to keep the shine up or try M.A.A.S. which is a metal polish and protectant that you can get @ Ace Hardware.

2)Yes it can, just a matter of if you want to put the work into it.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I polished my receiver too! Awesome, I'm glad there's a few of us out there!

1. What did you use as a buffing compound? I used Mother's, and so far all I have to do is wipe it with a t-shirt to get fingerprints and whatnot off. If it ever gets gross to the point where a simple wiping won't do, a little more Mother's and it'll look like chrome again. I think wax would make it look streaky and cloudy, plus it may knock down some shine.
2. I did that too. I started with 220 and moved down to 1500. The stainless polishes MUCH slower than the aluminum, so be prepared to spend a bunch of time on it. My Green Mountain barrel has a few metal blems that show up after polishing, so you may want to check the perfection of yours before you start. Also, my GM had a "polished" finish to it originally that left some deep grinding or sanding marks that take a TON of time to remove. For the most part, you can polish the barrel, but those **** marks are much deeper than the surface and leave it looking grainy. I spent 4 hours with 220 and they're still visible. I eventually gave up and moved down in grit to shine 'er up. I wetsanded down to 1500 grit, and I never used a polishing compound - again, it looks like chrome. I use CLP to protect the bbl.

Hope that helps. From one metal polisher to another...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MinusB

I got the compound at a gun show.It was available in 2 or 3 different "grits",depending on the metal it was gonna be used on.This was for softer metals like aluminum.I comes as a "bar" about an inch square and 5-6" long.I just let it rub into the 6" cloth buffing wheel I put on the bench grinder to get started and then as it would start to play out I'd just touch it again as the wheel was turnin'.I was amazed at how fast it worked!!Except for a couple of stubborn spots that had some pitts,the rest only took a few minutes.Also used it on the brass crescent butt plate that's goin' on my "Weird" project and it shined it right up in a matter of minutes. :t

BW

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hey Mark, no need to shout!!!

Don't know if you can tell it's polished or not, but there it is in all its glory. When I get more time, I plan on using all the help you've given this whole forum to dye it green.

Or red.

Or blonde.

I haven't decided yet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MinusB

I wouldn't be dyin' it with anything. :1t

Too damned purdy like it is. :t

A silver scope ,maybe,but other than that,I wouldn't touch it.
I'd just build another one. :D

And yeah,Mark,I'm workin' on the picture thing.

Gotta get ta where I can do that soon.

BW

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
BobbyWins said:
I wouldn't be dyin' it with anything.
Too damned purdy like it is.
I appreciate the compliments! There's a lot of love in that gun.

Actually, I want to get a really nice sporter style stock and get it all dressed up like that. The Fajen that's on it now is a little dinged and could use the attention - I was thinking of dying it just for fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.