Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one? what do you think? I have been thinking about getting the .22mag, I just couldn't decide which one I am alittle partial to lever guns, hence the 96/22m. I have seen the winchester, henry, marlin, and now the ruger. I think that I might be leaning towards the henry and the ruger, actually the ruger a little more for the simple fact the this can be converted to .17hmr in the future(once the strangle hold comes off the ammo!) I already have the marlin 17v and I could not ask for better accuracy.

Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well they are not too far off from each other henry$249. ruger$287 (96/22m) I have the henry in 22lr and I like it alot, really smooth action, its a shooter too. Just thought maybe someone would have experience with either rifle.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the Magnums.....

"Gun Tests" preferred the 96/22 LR, over Browning & Marlin.

They loved the Ruger "Rotary" Magazine over a "tube" and they liked the shorter "throw" of the Ruger lever.

They thought the Marlin was overpriced.

Just some "info" that I read and thought I'd share.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just to add to SKI's comment, Gun Tests a few years ago really liked the 96/22 Mag. as well. With the ammo they tried, if I remember right, it actually did about .25" at 50yds better than the 9422, which surprised me. The main things they didn't like was the trigger and the fact that it didn't look like a "cowboy" gun.

Never tried one myself though. I really like my 9422M with a tang site, but I may have to break down and put a compact scope on it, with my eye problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for the insite, I was kinda leaning towards the 96/22M for the simple fact the it can be converted to .17hmr without major mods. I would like to know if the hogue stock would fit though.... I'm not quite sure with the lever and all...Hmm. Anybody have experience with the change? Or is there an aftermarket stock made specifically for the 96/22M? Again thanks for the help so far.

Alex

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Get the 96/17...

Then you can convert it to a 22magnum via using a barrel from the 10/22magnum or any of the aftermarket 10/22 magnum barrels. Lilja does make .17 barrels for the 10/22 magnum too.
No aftermarket stocks are available for the 96/22 or similar action that I know of, and I have looked....
Ted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darn it, just my luck.... Does anybody know it there are mods that can be done to the butler creek, or the hogue. So I take it that the folding stock is nixxed also.... OOOOh, darn it, that oils my britches!! Like having a Vette in a school zone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.