Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So your Ruger's Weaver mount hangs over? The 9422 base hangs further and I wonder if it causes accuracy problems.

(moved from Winchester forum )
9422 Scope mounting
---------------------------
I have a 9422 I got almost 30 years ago and used with an Australian-made Field receiver sight for lever-action competition. I now use it for plinking with my kids, plus stalking and spotlighting for rabbits. I recently decided to mount a scope.

Scope choice for short range, low light
------------------------------------------------
I wanted to try really low power, and would have liked to afford a widefield 1.5 or 2.5x Bushnell or similar. I got a Tasco Bantam 2.5x32 made for black powder and rifled-slug guns. It was not costly and gives me a very bright image for late evening rabbit hunting. The duplex plus ring reticle is a bit unfashionable but it works fine.

Weaver base plate
------------------------
The Weaver base plate for 9422 grips the short receiver dovetail and fixes with locking screws (no tapped holes in receiver). The base moves the front ring forward so the eye relief would be more comfortable and the rings have a longer 'wheelbase' to support the scope. The plate hangs INCHES forward of the support on the receiver.

I used it with a pair of Redfield rings, which need crosscuts on the dovetail to clear their base screw.

Oh, #%$&!!!!!
------------
Darn thing would NOT group. At 50m I shot 4"-6" groups. I reckon 2"-3" would be realistic to expect. My rest and position were not benchrest class, and I am not a great shot ;-(.

On inspection, the base plate flexes under pressure. I took it to a gunsmith and he just mounted new rings onto the rifle's own narrow, short dovetails. It isn't as nice looking but it does group much better. The Weaver base and Redfield rings are now in the odds 'n' ends box.

I still like the scope position better with the Weaver base. Is anyone using it? Has anyone any tips for improvements?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven't measured the eye relief, but it is essentially the same as the 4x32 scopes I have previously owned - and all of them would suit better if the bases could go an inch forward.

I have seen LER scopes in this application in the magazines, but this isn't one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.