Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

917 weaver base woes

1264 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  gmcfixer
Well, my weaver bases are offcenter too. I had to give the windage turret 3 turns to get it on target. Good thing I have a 30mm scope. I hadn't noticed before since I was using Millet adjustable rings. Now I have a one piece base that mounts on weaver.

I would really like to get some straighter mounts, but am having a hard time finding them. Someone mentioned weaver #16 bases will work. Midway only has 1. Haven't seen them elsewhere. Does anyone know if other brands will fit? Leupold?

Thanks,
Gene
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10,461 Posts
Go to your local gun shop and buy a pair of Weaver #45 bases should work but compare to the junky marlin ones to be sure.
Or just use the dovetail mounts I used BKL #257 rings on the dovetail.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
No the marlin's bases are a cheap copy of the Weaver's, my guess is Chinese. The Weaver brand bases are of high quality.

rcrdps said:
Does that mean the weavers are just as off as the marlins?

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Just ordered the #45 's, a chrony, and boresighter from Midway.

Has anyone seen an arbor boresighter that will fit .172? I just bought the leupold magnetic, but I don't see how it will be accurate without having a reference to the bore.

Gene

· Registered
6,320 Posts
Weaver # 16's are an EXACT fit on the Marlin 917 series (though they aren't cataloged for the Marlin 917 series). :)

I just put a set of Weaver # 16's on my 917V this past weekend. Much straighter then those scabby "Ho-Ba-Jube" bases Marlin supplies.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
rcrdps said:
I would really like to get some straighter mounts, but am having a hard time finding them. Someone mentioned weaver #16 bases will work. Midway only has 1. Haven't seen them elsewhere. Does anyone know if other brands will fit? Leupold?

Thanks,
Gene
Gene,

I use a BKL 261 on my 917 and it mounts on the 3/8 rail and is the slickest set up you'll find. Now of course you're using a 30mm scope so you may want to try a BKL 354.

http://bkltech.com/Merchant2/mercha...e_Code=BKL&Product_Code=354&Category_Code=300

Here is what mine looks like.

BKL mounts don't slip even with heavy scopes (I use a 8X32X44 and it has yet to slip) and the 261 and the 354 have a one piece lower base so since its machined at the same time you don't have to worry about lapping the rings. Just my opinion.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I do want to use the weaver though for more choices, and that I already have several weaver rings including the one piece unit I'm already using. I had a hard time finding the #16's. Hoping the #45's work.

I do like the offset on those BKLs though. I was noticing that my scope should probably be a little bit farther back. Would be more natural on my neck.

Gene

· Registered
3,500 Posts
rcrdps said:
I do like the offset on those BKLs though. I was noticing that my scope should probably be a little bit farther back. Would be more natural on my neck.

Gene
Gene,

I hope what ever you decide to go with works well for you! I am a strong advocate for BKL products because they work exactly as they are intended to which now days isn't always the case. If I might point out yes the offset mount will allow you to move the scope back for more comfortable off hand shooting (in my opinion) but also if you like a longer eye relief scope it helps out there too! But one of the things I find so cool about the BKL mounts is that they grab the rail harder than anything else in 3/8" and better than some weaver systems. I use a large scope and have had zero problem with movement! Plus if you look at it for the point of view that less is best, you have one chunk of metal between the scope and the reciever! Less to come loose! With a two piece weaver base system (which is common on bolt action guns) you have two rings and two bases along with 2 screws per base. Thats a lot to insure is tight by comparasion.

If you do stick with the Weaver system, I would suggest going with Burris signature rings which if I remember right are available in extra high in 30mm. The signature rings with the floating inserts are great (I use them on mine and my wife's 10/22s) and besides giving the ability to correct misalignment without using adjustment screws they also prevent scope damage in that they don't force a scope to flex when you tighten them down if you haven't lapped the rings. I may have missed it, you mentioned that you are using a 30mm scope .... which scope are you using if I might ask?

Just tryin to be helpful!

Dave Z.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leapers Accushot 4-16x56 Have the latest Accushot( new turrets) on my airgun. www.genesdomain.com

With the weavers and a medium height ring the scope is barely off of the barrel. You won't see that on my site though. Need to put up new pics. Those are Millet in the pics.

I'll keep the BKL in mind. Right now I have stuff coming, so I will save the BKL for another spending spree. :D

Gene

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow-up

Got my stuff in. Just a tip for ya'll,... if you're thinking of using UPS ground and they have the option for USPS, go with the mail option. It will get there waayyyy faster.

First off, the Leupold boresighter is really awesome. I would highly recommend it. Don't know about the other magnetic boresighters, but this one allows you to move it all over the place on your muzzle and it optically corrects it somehow. The only thing you have to make sure about is cant. It's comes in a belt ready knife holder like pouch. Doesn't take up much room in the ammo can.

Chrony...Haven't chronied the 17 yet, but found my .22 pellet gun shoots 625fps with Crow Magnums. Hopefully will get the .17 chronied sometime after this hurricane. I hate being off work and not able to do anything.

The bases. As I found out after I ordered them, they're a tad taller than the Weaver #16's. Not my preference, but they work fine. According to the boresighter, they were much more straight than the stock ones. Put up some new pictures with them and the one piece unit on my webpage. www.genesdomain.com under Ballistics.

Oh,... also used the boresighter to check the accuracy of my scope. As expected, when changing power or focus, it does move slightly. The good thing is that it returns to zero. Wish it wouldn't change, but I expect it this side of $300. The target turrets are dead on though( on the newer Accushot). The boresighter has two squares out from the center. The outer square is 8 inches(@100yds) and the inner is 4 inches. Turned my turret 4MOA and it went exactly out to the first square. Turned it back and it went back. Cool.... So I know I can accurately use clicks with that one. Need to check the scope on the 17. If it ain't up to par, I might get the BKL offset and swap them.

Gene

· Registered
428 Posts
For all the complaining, mu 917 came with just great bases, aligned just right, no problem. I got this 917 last spring. I resist the urge to think I have to spend more money.... $179.95 for the rifle, $69.95 for the scope, medium rings, forgot, maybe $17, papermate pens at Staples for trigger. $270 or so invested, regular under 1" 5-shot groups at 100 meters (not yards) Yeah, I coulda had a Cooper, but why? Yeah, I coulda bought a Swarvorski 6-24x55mm, but why? Business classes teach about diminishing returns....

Cap'n Tom

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Cap'n Tom said:
For all the complaining, mu 917 came with just great bases, aligned just right, no problem. I got this 917 last spring.
Both of mine are just fine, too.... as is my buddy's 917V....Whatever the problem, they seem to be consistently bad for the last year or so.

Tim

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I got mine around New Years I think. Definitely off. Not just by a little bit. As I think was mentioned, I think a 1 inch scope probably wouldn't have been able to adjust enough. Just $6 in parts. You woulda thought they wouldn't have to skimp on that.

Gene

· Registered
3,500 Posts
pmullineaux said:
try the kwik sites from academy, super wide four hole screws on top, holds the recoil of my 308 and 30-06 ultralites, they are only 10-12 bucks. Rangerruck
While you might have had good luck with kwik sites they are not the greatest as far as scope alignment. I had a buddy tell me about problems he had with his scope and getting it zeroed. Looked it over and found the kiwk sites did not align proplerly and he ended up bending the scope tube. I'll stick with BKLs, besides if you use rings rather than the complete mounts the rings are only $18.40 which for the quality is the best buy in the market place. JMO

Dave Z.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.