Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripped my stock down (from one of the used CMP rifles). Any suggestions on the finish. I would like to put it back similar to the original finish. Do you think tonge oil will get me there? I'm an engineer, we don't know how to spell tonge.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
AR,
From another engineer... :D My favorite stock finishing technique is the Minwax Tung Oil finish, thinned and applied for 4-6 coats by wetsanding to fill the grain, then another 10 or so by hand rubbing. Use mineral spirits as the thinner, and you can apply two coats per day. The key is, as the T.O. begins to thicken and get sticky, wipe if off with a paper towel. When he grain is filled and the gloss level suits you, let it dry for a few more days, finish with a good carnuba based paste wax. Obviously, this isn't a quick finish, and it's labor-intensive, but once you've done one like this, you won't likely use anything else. :bthumb:

Do a search on "tung-oil finishes", you'll find many variations on this technique here on RFC. :)

Have a Ball!!

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Sand old finish off. Tru-oil for about 6-8 doses buffing between with steel wool. Use tac rag to get rid of rement wool before next dose. Last coat may be gloss of buffed to a nice matte. If the matte gets looking grundy-rebuff with wool to restore.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tru-Oil

I used tru oil and I like the results. I sanded off the old stain and removed the scratches that are known with cmp stocks. I dont think it turned out to bad. The spacers have yet been stained so please dont go by those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.