Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start a bedding project on an old Marlin 782 22Mag. This ones a little different from other bedding jobs I've done. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. There is only one bbl/action screw for the whole works. I plan on first countersinking and glassing the area where the bolt head will contact the bottom of the stock to keep from compressing the wood. Then I plan to bed the tang, small "middle" section, and the reciever ring and bbl. to about an inch forward the bbl. "lug". I'll then float the bbl. Are there any tricks to this I should know before I start? Also, how difficult is it to keep bedding material out of the dovetail cuts in the bbl. and bbl. lug? I plan on using puddy packed around it. Thanks for your help.

·
8,335 Posts
Bedding project

You won't beliele this but I typed out about two pages of fairly detailed instructions on how I bedded my 782 and the LOST THE WHOLE THING :confused: because when I was trying to insert an image. I did something that the computer didn't like and it shut down. Then I reread your post and realized that I probably didn't need to be that detailed. I teach auto tech in high school and I try to leave nothing to chance when it comes to students. I used a screwdriver converted to serve as a chisel and I have used it for quite a few other projects that have required a small chisel. I didn't touch the bottom of the stock where the action screw touches it, just left it as it was and have had no problems with it. I took about an 1/8th of an inchout of the stock on both sides . maybe a 1/4" from the front and about 1/2" from behind the action lug, I removed wood to the depth of the action lug plus 1/8" more. Your biggest problem will be in preventing bedding compound from getting into the action lug as you place the action into the bedding compound. I think probably the best way around that problem would be to use a piece of all-thread that is the same dia. and thread pitch as the action screw with a flat washer and a wingnut to tighten the action down into the stock. (Only thought of that yesterday) I originally used black electrical tape to build up the narrow section of the action so that I could get it back out of the stock after the bedding compound had cured sufficiently (18 to 24 hrs for the stuff I use) I also use Johnsons Paste Wax as the release agent and I always use two coats of it and it has always worked great. I am going to submit this now so I don't loose it again in case I do something the computer doesn't like. I will try to insert the images later. God Bless and good luck, Frank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.