Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

77/22 trigger job

3145 11
How hard is it to replace the sear in a Ruger 77/22? Is it something a gunsmith need to do?

What is the best after market drop in replacement kit for the 77/22?

I bought one today and it need a lot of work on the trigger.

Thanks

Mike
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Replacing a sear in a 77/22 is a piece of cake. It is very easy to swap parts.

I've had good results with the VQ sear, but wouldn't hesistate to try a Timney.

Some people prefer to replace the trigger itself (usually more expensive) with one from Dayton- Traister, Moyers, Spec-tech, etc. but still very easy to do.

If you are handy, you might want to try to work with the existing parts. See: www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mike

With the stock removed and the bolt
out of the action.

Hold slight pressure on trigger assembly punch out trigger pin.
There is not a whole lot of tension
on trigger spring just don't lose it.

Next punch the pin out beside the
safety,push sear farward and up to
remove.
Assemble in reverse order.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the exchange today.

Plinker it was a piece of cake to put the VQ sear and spring in. However the safety is very stiff now. Is this typical?

It did reduce the trigger pull considerably. There seem to be a little bit of travel though and the trigger is loose.

All in all it was a good thing though.

Thanks again

Mike

ps Is it as easy on a 10/22?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
How hard is it to replace the sear in a Ruger 77/22? Is it something a gunsmith need to do?

Thanks

Mike
Try Timney. I went with them on my second build, and added a RifleBasix trigger. I'm happy with it.:bthumb:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you carefully polish the top of the factory trigger so you don't round the edge and change the spring, you don't need to replace the sear! The trigger is easy to take out with 1 pin and the spring can be easily changed to something lighter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
adjustable trigger

I have an old "Rifle" magazine from 1986, issue Number 107 which is very detailed including illustrations on how to modify a stock Ruger 77/22 trigger to make it fully adjustable for pull weight and over travel.
I don't know if that magazine is still in circulation. I've saved the magazine "just in case" I ever get the urge to have one built for a 77/22. Of course I haven't a clue as to what a smith would charge to modify one, but who knows~? One day maybe if there are any real gunsmiths left~!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks
Mike
I have an article which appeared in "Rifle" magazine, issue #107 for Sept-Oct-Nov of 1986 which shows you how to modify a stock trigger including making it fully adjustable. It's very well written with photos and diagrams explaining the step by step process. I'd copy and post if for you DIY folks but would be concerned about copyright laws and "permissions to publish".
The article was written by one Richard Aldiis. It might be archived somewhere in the internet. The title was "An Adjustable Trigger for Ruger's 77/22".
I found the magazine on-line ( https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/s...+107&Search=GO. ) You can buy a copy for $10 by going to that link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.