Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

77/22 LR

2773 30
Picked up a 2002 model 77/22Lr today. Wanted one for ever just couldn't find a good clean one to buy. Had to drive over 60 miles one way but it was worth it. Wanted one with iron sites but apparently those are not readily available. Had a extra nikon p-22 2x7 sitting in the safe so mounted it up hopefully can get it zeroed in tomorrow. Is it true ruger no longer produces this rifle? What ammo do they seem to like?
Reactions: skywag and Rosscoe
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
I’ve had several of these and really liked them, although I never had one shoot better than “good”.
I can have spectacularly bad luck with guns. Especially with Rugers. I bought a 77/22LR and 77/22M new after they had been discontinued. I spent about $400 each for them. In a weird twist of fate, these guns that are not known for accuracy have given me excellent accuracy. Go figure.

· Registered
86 Posts
Rectangle Road surface Font Circle Electric blue

Nice pick up on the 77/22 ! Getting harder to find nice ones like that.

I did this with a 77/22 made in the 90's Bushnell 3x9&40mm. 50 yards off the bench with a Cadwell bag rest. With Federal Auto Match. Made a few click adjustments on scope with sighter shoots and had fun.

· Registered
197 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition, your 77/22 is built to last for generations. A rifle manufactured in 2002 will have a slip fit or "switch barrel" receiver. As remembered (someone will correct me if wrong) Ruger contracted with Wilson Barrels up to some point, Wilson supplied barrels of various quality depending on the specifications of contract, Hand lapped, Cooper is (was?) one such purchaser. If your rifle doesn't shoot to your satisfaction CPC or Clarke will fine tune your rifle. As another option it's an easy swap to one from Lothar Walther, Shillen, or Lilja. With the exchange of barrel, trigger guard and magazine, your rifle can be adapted to .17hm2, .17hmr or .22mag. Your rifle is built for the long haul but if needed parts are relatively reasonably priced from Midway or Natchez. If you think it an improvement an easy exchange of trigger spring will give it a pull you can live with or love.
Enjoy your new rifle!
I have one I purchased new in 1988, would that have been in the Wilson barrel era? It wears a Leupold 6X Compact AO scope which fits it perfectly.

· Registered
122 Posts
Regards, slickracer:
If memory serves (it may not), 1973 to 1991. Prior to 1973 Ruger used Douglas but keep in mind these were built to a price point. Some shoot poorly, some shoot well. Some shoot very well. In a measure to improve quality control and consistency Ruger began in house production in 1991.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I would drive 60 miles if I didn't have a 77/22, even at today's gas prices.

If you are dissapointed with how it shoots, I would send it off to Randy at CPC for his full tune up.
You won't need an aftermarket barrel AND it will be an accurate rifle when you get it back

· Premium Member
24,472 Posts
I would drive 60 miles if I didn't have a 77/22, even at today's gas prices.

If you are dissapointed with how it shoots, I would send it off to Randy at CPC for his full tune up.
You won't need an aftermarket barrel AND it will be an accurate rifle when you get it back
My Shilens made things better.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts