Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2002 model 77/22Lr today. Wanted one for ever just couldn't find a good clean one to buy. Had to drive over 60 miles one way but it was worth it. Wanted one with iron sites but apparently those are not readily available. Had a extra nikon p-22 2x7 sitting in the safe so mounted it up hopefully can get it zeroed in tomorrow. Is it true ruger no longer produces this rifle? What ammo do they seem to like?

· Registered
96 Posts
Ruger no longer produces this rifle. Mine likes Eley sub-sonic hp 40 grain, which unfortunately is no longer produced. It also likes Eley Target. I have not shot any higher priced ammo in my 77-22.

· Registered
122 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition, your 77/22 is built to last for generations. A rifle manufactured in 2002 will have a slip fit or "switch barrel" receiver. As remembered (someone will correct me if wrong) Ruger contracted with Wilson Barrels up to some point, Wilson supplied barrels of various quality depending on the specifications of contract, Hand lapped, Cooper is (was?) one such purchaser. If your rifle doesn't shoot to your satisfaction CPC or Clarke will fine tune your rifle. As another option it's an easy swap to one from Lothar Walther, Shillen, or Lilja. With the exchange of barrel, trigger guard and magazine, your rifle can be adapted to .17hm2, .17hmr or .22mag. Your rifle is built for the long haul but if needed parts are relatively reasonably priced from Midway or Natchez. If you think it an improvement an easy exchange of trigger spring will give it a pull you can live with or love.
Enjoy your new rifle!

· Premium Member
2,094 Posts
critterman - Congratulations on the 77/22 find - They are great-looking rifles. I always liked the configuration with the laminated stock, matte finish stainless steel action, and barrel. I bit on the heavy side if I recall but I believe that particular configuration had a longer, heavier barrel. The main thing that kept me from buying one was the price at that time and all the pre-owned models today still bring a hefty price. One doesn't see any 77/2's on the shelf very often in our area at least. (y)

· Premium Member
24,471 Posts
Congrats.(y) under 1 inch at 50 yards is good with the sporter barrels. Buy some quality ammo.;)

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I love it, I did change to a nikon 3 9x40 rimfire scope, shot way to good for just 7x on hi end. It's holding under .850 at 65 yards with Remington golden ammo that's dead squirrel all day. Now I want one in .22mag

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got some more range time in this morning before the weather hit Texas, gun shoots great fired 6 different ammo brands 40gr seem to hold abit tighter then the 36gr but both hold under. 975 at 65yards so one more frost in my aera and it's fried squirrel for lunch. Don't know why I wait on second frost other then that's what my grandfather always did?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts