Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question on Ruger rings. I got my VBBZ, came with the standard Ruger rings that match the gun, with Torx type screws supplied. I put a Nikon 4.5-14x AO silver shadow on it, with the rings mounted correctly (lug to the front). I tightened the top rings up in sequence untill as snug as I could go with the supplied "allen" style torx wrench, and afterward I have about a 1/32" gap between the top and bottom rings. The scope is solid, with no movement or visible gaps between the tube and rings. Is this normal for a Ruger rimfire? My .308 M77 MKII has Ruger rings and shows no such gap, with a Leopold VXII 3-9x on it. What gives? I could use a torx screwdriver and tighten them some more, but I sure don't want to kink the tube on the Nikon. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed the same thing with mine. I could not tighten them down all the way on my Bushnell Banner for fear of hurting the scope? I am not worried because the scope is not going anywhere but it was kind of strange like those rings are made for an air rifle scope. :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keeper

That is weird. Kind of upsetting that on a $450 rifle the scope rings are not well made enought to fit precisely. I'm going to take my dial caliper to the tube on my Nikon and see if it's maybe a little biger that 1.00 inches. Perhaps I could lap the rings in. Brownells has a kit for that. If not, I'm going to email Ruger and they may replace the rings.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have worked on several Ruger 77/22 and 77/17 with Ruger rings and they all have the, described above, gap.

I do not think it has any effect on scope mounting.

I never though anything about until now.

Let us know what they say.

Good Shooting.....................GD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you talking about were the top half of the ring meets the bottom half of the ring were the ring threads are, If so mine do to on my ruger, also my BKL 263 rings and all the other 2 pc rings I own. I just always figured they were like that so you could make sure the scope was tight. I mean, it would realy suck if the rings fit flush but your scope still had some play or slippage.

·
Registered
366 Posts
OK,

I went and measured the "gap" in the rings:

Ruger rings with Bushnell 4200 scopes have about 0.042" gap each side.

Redfield rings with Swarovski scope have about 0.020" gap each side.

As, Jeff N Oak said, without a "gap" the mounts would not work well.

Good Shooting...............GD

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
TRUE

You need some gap so your scope will
be held tight.

I set mine so the gap is about equal
on both sides. Looks better that way.:)

To much tight'in on the mounts can
crush things inside the scope or kink
the tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts

Good info from all. I got out my caliper and the tube on my Nikon is dead on at 1.00 inches, so it's the rings. Taking a closer look at my M77MKII .308, there is a very slight gap where the top and bottom halves meet, like maybe you could get a feeler guage in there worth a few hundredths. But nothing like the rings on this VBBZ. If I get a wild hair I'll loosen up the rings, take the scope off, tighten everything up flush and measure the inside diameter with the calipers. I agree they wouldn't hold onto the scope if they were at 1.00, but a 1/32" plus gap all around?

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think there is a problem, I have 3 sets and the gap is different on all. The Burris, Leupold, And Redfield all have the gap so I think as a general rule they are supposed to have a gap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I examined my non-Ruger rifles and both of them displayed a gap on the order of 1/32". I, too, don't see how the rings could tighten dependably if there werent' SOME gap. Both of those rifles use the Millett Angle-Loc ring (which I really like), one on a Leupold Vari-X II, and the other a Nikon Monarch 6.5 x 20, and the gap is about the same on both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.