Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have been working on a friends 77/17 and have not been able to get it to shoot under 1 1/2" 3 shot groups. The best group so far has been 1 1/2" but the average is probably closer to 1 3/4"" for 3 shots. I have tried everything I can think of. Here are the specifics. I am using a 6.5x20 Leupold of know ability (its good) in the factory rings (lapped in). The trigger is tuned to break at 24 to 26 oz. The crown looks to be square and no dings but I have not tried recrowning it. The bbl appears to be free from defects but I have not borescoped it. The action sits in the stock with no binding or slop but is not glass bedded. I have tried with the bbl sitting in the stock as it came from Ruger, free floated, free floated with 5 lbs of upward preassure at the forend, 10lbs at the forend and 15 lbs at the forend. I have used different torques on the action screws varying from just snug to close to 60 inch lbs. My buddy is a little sour on Rugers to start with and (understandably) doesn't want to pop for a new bbl. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. I assume the groups are at 100 yards. My VBBZ out of the box shot under 3/4", 5 shot groups at 100 yards. They could be covered by a dime. Three shot groups would cut each other.

If it is not the scope or mounts I would send it back to Ruger, they have been nice folks to deal with for me (although I have never had a serious problem like this).

I would first try a different scope even if it is good it is worth a try to really eliminate it.

If it is still bad call Ruger.

Good Luck..................GD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GD,

This is the 3rd scope that has been on the rifle. After the first two which were somewhat unknowns I decided to pull off a scope I knew was good. I pulled the bbl off the action since I first posted and think I have found the problem. My first examination of the bbl was when it was brand new and was before it had given us problems so it was kinda a quick examination. Upon further review I can find two major problems with it. First, the throat is waaaay out of alignment. It is cut way below the groove diameter on one side and is not down to the groove diameter directly across. This is an indication of the throat/ chamber being offset from the bore, not a good thing! Second, about an inch back from the crown there is a major pit in one of the lands. This is accompanied by several smaller pits scattered around the same area about half way around the circumference of the bore. This could also be part of the problem. Together I think that these add up to poor accuracy. I am going to box up the bbl and ship it back to Ruger on Monday.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder

I wonder with the demand for the .17 HMR if Ruger might have let some lemons out the door by mistake. It seems there are a lot of reports on problems with the VBBZ. I hope that I got one of the better ones out the door. I will find out next weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trcuda if you don't mind would you follow up with a post on what Ruger says and does for you. I am just wondering what I am looking at if I have a bad rifle. This is really peeing in my cheerios. :mad: :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: 77/17

Bullit said:
[ B] [/B]
Keeper, I think you are worrying over nothing. Anything you buy can be bad. If this is such a terrible rifle, why don't you just sell it to one of us guy's for half price and then you won't have to worry any more. You have no idea what you have until you shoot it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
True I probably have nothing to worry about but that will not keep me from worrying. :) Like I said I am still excited but the reports of problems with some 77/17 VMBBZ rifles took a little wind out of my sails. If everything turns out alright I will eat a few handfulls of crow and shut the hell up. Maybe even post a picture of the groups. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
77/17 VBBZ

I bought a 77/17 VBBZ last night and shot it all day today.I have been extremely pleased.I was initially looking at a less expensive .17,
but standing at the gunstore counter I just could'nt help myself!It's one of the best looking rifles in my safe & I am impressed with it's accuracy- :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.