Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

77/17 feeding problem

513 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mbowerma 
I just tried a little experiment with 3 of my 77/22s. I have a Magnum and a LR and a 17M2. With the magnum, as I close the bolt, and the round is released from the magazine, the rim slides under the extractors and is fed into the chamber. Actually a better description is that as the round clears the magazine feed lips, it literally jumps into the extractors. I guess this is how it is supposed to work as opposed to the extractors "snapping" over the rim. I also tried this with 17HMR ammo with the same result. I then took the bolt from my LR and put it into the Magnum and there was a slight difference in the round sliding under the extractors ( it didn't leap) - and a very little more force was needed to feed the round, and the round was marked from contacting the bottom edge of the chamber. It is almost like the extractor tension was greater with the LR bolt as they contaced the rim. I also tried this with the 17M2 bolt in the Magnum and the results were very similar.
If this were mine, I'd do as others suggested and take a little off one or the other or both of the extractors at the bottom towards the bolt to give a little extra clearance to the Magnum/HMR rim. Even though I've read here there is little or no difference in the 77/22 LR and Magnum actions, there is enough difference when I put my LR/17M2 bolts into the Magnum that I can feel it when I close the bolt. Keep in mind that these are only my three individual rifles, and may have different results with other rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.