Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy 717 isn't what comes to mind for hunting, well, pest control, is it?

Well, tonight I heard a mouse trap snap in the basement. I gave it about 10 mins then went down, no mouse...but it was tripped. I look around and I could hear a mouse moving around some stuff. So, upstairs I went, grabbed the 717, put a cheapo Crosman wadcutter, and back down. I found the mouse between a couple fatbike tires and scared it into the perimeter drain around the foundation. Popped it once, loaded another cheapo pellet and nailed it again JUST to be sure. Taped up a stick to pick it up, and carried it upstairs and outside. It was behind my bench, so I had to use something to reach it! Distance was like, 6 feet. lol.

SO, that is the first blood my 717 has drawn, at least in my hands.

Time to spray some water/peppermint oil around again. Seems to keep pests away to an extent, and does NO harm to the house, or me :) Smells darn good, too...

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Pest control guy told me to put a bar of Irish Spring around the door to the garage and it would keep out the mise. I've never seen a mouse in the garage so it must work.

Good story on your hunt.
:bthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pest control guy told me to put a bar of Irish Spring around the door to the garage and it would keep out the mise. I've never seen a mouse in the garage so it must work.

Good story on your hunt.
Really? I think the dollar tree sells irish spring, I'm going to give that a shot! A few bucks is worth it if it even keeps a few away.

I don't even like them in the garage, let alone in the house. But living in the country with a field next to me, it's just a matter of time. That big hawk needs to eat more...

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a second last night, this time in the garage. I heard a trap snap, checked it out and a poor little mouse was staring up at me, his foot in the trap. I got the 717, put a pellet in it, found the guy and it was lights out. That pellet went right through him, bounced around the garage and landed next to my car...might have been a bad idea to use crosman pellets, they are harder than most.

I took the mouse outside Sunday morning, and the poor fellow was caught by only ONE toe in the trap. But he never made it in the house, a WIN for me!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts

Good story on your hunt.
I was once told that a sign saying "May this house be safe from tigers" would keep 'em away. Haven't seen one yet. :)

But I can well believe that Irish Spring would hold a mouse - can't stand the smell of it myself. We use mothballs to keep pests out of spaces.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Woodchuck said "That pellet went right through him, bounced around the garage and landed next to my car...might have been a bad idea to use crosman pellets, they are harder than most."

I've found that even pure lead pellets will bounce around from a low powered air pistol. I shot a mouse with a Gamo compact, roughly the same power level as a 717, and the pellet passed through the mouse's body, bounced off the floor moulding and traveled down the hallway. I was using JSB domed pellets, and was surprised that the pellet wasn't contained within the mouse's body. However a mouse body has the density of dryer lint, so I guess it's not that surprising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts