Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

6th Sanctioned Match brings some success!!

250 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Tenspot
Hey folks,

Attended my 6th ever IR shoot today and had some luck - 2nd in the 10.5#!! Pretty pumped up about it, wind was not real harsh but pretty switchy. The wind flag tails were getting a workout with the ups and downs. Had good scores going also in the sporter and 13.5#, but each target had a "bad decision" bull where I was thinking I understood the wind :rolleyes: I think I ended up 5th in each sporter and 13.5.

Shot the original Annie - without a tuner to boot! The 2nd Annie is back now though (wearing my Fudd tuner) and I need to do some trigger work on her and fit her in my Stith stock before I get to try out the new 2 groove benchmark. It was killing me to know it was sitting in the truck while I was shooting.

Having fun - and learning something new every shoot !!

Brian
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Congrats Brian, it's always a thrill to place. Watch those flags, if in doubt, go to a sighter somewhere, it will save you lots of points. Just wish I practiced what I preach. :(

Dale, go to a match, don't worry about finishing last. We've all been there, recently, in fact. ;)

Ken

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Brian-
Congratulations! I understand how you feel--it took me while to finally place in a match, and I was very happy about it! Best I could do today was a 2nd place in 10-1/2 RBA Match with a 248-14X, it was mild wind, but switching a lot and causing some boo-boo's if you picked he wrong time to shoot. I did shoot some "new" old stock ammo I bought a few weeks back in my sporter and it shot well, even though I did not. But, it shot a 245 the first time I tried it, and the points I dropped were close ones(it'll do better next time out), so I was happy about that sporter ammo! Congrats on your shooting--stay after it.
Dale--Man just get out there and shoot like Ken says. Everyone has to start somewhere, but just getting started is the key. It's a lot of fun, and you meet some very nice people. Good luck.

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! THe ol wind just keeps givin me lessons! Every match I am gettin better at it - slow though. Today was some very difficult velocity changes - it was really changing quick. Direction was changing pretty quick too, but the velocity changes stole the show.

Ken - I have become pretty persistant at shooting at the paper edges on each row. Today I was on the 12 bull in 13.5 and was waiting for the condition that was treating me best - but time was awastin - so I started to move to verify this new condition and my primary came back as I was moving it off - Quick -back to #12!

HOw many conditions do you shoot?? I have been trying to be ready for at least 2, sometimes 3.

Also managed to shoot another fly over at the edge of the paper today, 2 shoots in row. :D

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Brian,

I TRY to shoot one condition or a variation of it. Usually around here, the switches make you shoot two condidtions, usually opposite of each other. Today at Salem, I wound up shooting three conditions, 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock winds with a different hold for each. That was in an unlimited match (20 minutes). Not so bad in a 3 gun match with more time, you can afford to wait a condition out. Sometimes you have to go off paper to figure out which hold goes with which condition. :rolleyes:

Ken

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TangoTwo said:
Brian,

I TRY to shoot one condition or a variation of it. Usually around here, the switches make you shoot two condidtions, usually opposite of each other. Today at Salem, I wound up shooting three conditions, 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock winds with a different hold for each. That was in an unlimited match (20 minutes). Not so bad in a 3 gun match with more time, you can afford to wait a condition out. Sometimes you have to go off paper to figure out which hold goes with which condition. :rolleyes:

Ken
Ken,

I have seriously pondered writing my conditions down as I find them on the sighters. I need to get or build a velocity indicator also. I put tails on my flags, but want something else to compare with the tails. A few of the guys around here use the large fishing floats with a counterweight.

I have been learning alot by watching the better shooters on other relays to see what conditions they are shooting and observing their target with my spotting scope. That alone has taught me a ton!

· Registered
440 Posts
Brian,
Your shooting gets better all the time. Now , if you just weren't so geographically challenged you'd have more "List" points and a little more money to buy parts with (instead of paying fines). Don't worry though, I won't tell anybody if you don't.

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Dave!

I drove double nickles all the way to Holmen Saturday!!! ;) No "hot roddin" for me last weekend. I called about the fine $, about the price of a set of Hall rings. Hope you had fun at 50's.

I have to thank Bircher to, he grunts when he pulls a shot - lets you know the condition ain't there audibly. He helped me hold off pullin the trigger a few times with his warning grunt. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.