Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

6805 sight - replacement knobs available?

253 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dgoerndt
Greetings all,

I run a Jr. smallbore rifle program in Raleigh NC, and we currently have a good number of 1451's in our inventory. One thing that drives us crazy on a regular basis is that the knobs on the 6805 rear sights don't appear to be set up for english-speaking folks. With all due respect to our German friends, I would like to know if aftermarket knobs are available for these sights that are calibrated for R=right, L=Left, U=Up, and D=Down?

Thanks,
Lou
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chuckkilla said:
Can you tape or write the needed directions on the existing knobs?
Not really, these rifles are handled a lot, by kids, and I don't think tape would hold up that well. I've thought about re-painting them, but the knobs are pretty darn small. So, I'm looking for the easiest way out, first. If I can't locate any replacement knobs, I'll probably re-paint them come winter (during the off season).

· Registered
695 Posts
Luigi,
Having the marks on the rifle is only convenient if you are not trying to adjust the sights while in position. Not so much in kneeling and standing but in prone. Also, once they transition out of the 1451's the rest of the German sights are marked the same way. I suggest that you just teach those involved that up and right are counterclockwise. That way they can adjust the sights without even looking at the knobs.
Al

· Registered
1,241 Posts
I have seen replacement knobs for the newer 7002 sights but I don't think they are marked any differently.

Something that I just started to use to help them remember which way to turn the knob is the righthand rule. This is a thing that comes from physics to assign a direction to torque and other rotating things. Basically, take your righthand and make a fist with your thumb pointing out. Point your thumb in the direction that you desire the bullet impact to be moved and the direction that your fingers curl dictate the direction the knob is to be turned. There are other ways to remember it but this is the best I have found so far. I always think of a screw pushing the group but most kids don't have a real good sense of which way to turn a screw to make it go the desired direction.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pdeal said:
Something that I just started to use to help them remember which way to turn the knob is the righthand rule.......
Thanks for this tip, I really do like it! (I'm an EE and am painfully aware of the righthand rule and its many applications). Wow, this takes me back a long way........to some professors I'd just as soon not remember!

Thanks,
Lou

· Registered
508 Posts
CCUR, Forever

Luigi,

Thirty years ago, I had to learn that lesson (with Ruger Mini-14, no less). I just chanted to myself the phrase "CCUR," over and over, for "Counter-Clockwise - Up and Right." Over and over and over. If they do that, they'll remember it for 30-plus years, too.

Jaywalker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.