Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

640kd stock Walnut?

433 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  k hornet
just checking to see if this stock is walnut or not?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10,857 Posts
walnut / hardwood

:D Some are /some aren't :D Sorry the best I can do.If you can't tell b/4 refinishing you will find out when you do. :Blasting_

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
take the buttplate off, you will soon see. thats what i did and come to find out my 352kc which looked like birch because of some cheap laquer/rough sanding marks was nothin but american walnut...and now it looks like it as well :)

· Registered
10,857 Posts
I'm Sorry

afret20 said:
With the buttplate off, if you cannot tell from the grain, smell it. Walnut has a distinctive, rather bitter smell.
:D :p :D I'm Sorry, I couldn't help myself on this one.. :D if you read your post..."with the buttplate off" ..that leaves you with the bare butt... you say "smell it"..."distinctive, rather bitter smell." my wife just took our baby nephew home and you are correct ,butts do have a ..."distinctive, rather bitter smell." :D :D maybe thats why the buttplate was invented :D Again I'm Sorry, all in fun..LOL---Jim--- It was a good way to identify the wood ,that i never even had given thought to b/4 ,Thanks for a good tip...and a free laugh.. :D :D ---Jim--

· Registered
117 Posts
I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that the 640 KD does have some very nice walnut underneath that crappy, muddy stain and cheap varnish that they lathered on at the factory. I stripped mine down last winter and did some minor sculpting of the cheekpiece and fluting of the comb before I finished it with quite a few coats of hand-rubbed linseed oil. I also ditched the cheesy white-line spacers and replaced the clunky factory swivels with a set of Uncle Mike's. It now looks a bit more like a knockoff Ruger 77 than a knockoff Weatherby magnum.

It's a great gun; I've had it since I was a kid in 1973. With the new 34-grain Winchester Premiums, it will shoot 1.5-inch groups at 100 yards. Lays 'chucks out stone cold out to 125 yards. All it lacks is a better set of scope mounts to address the funky design of the receiver and the bolt handle being so far forward. I can't get enough eye relief to shoot it easily; it really needs a set of those BKL extension rings so that I can slide the scope back another inch or so. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the BKL rings? They cost twice what the scope costs.

Any and all advice would be most welcome.

· Registered
53 Posts
Scope mounts

Scope Rings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found these rings from brownells worked perfectly on my Chuckster. Much better than than trying to work around my weaver style rings.

ANGLE-LOCTM .22 SCOPE RINGS

Mfr: MILLETT

Windage Adjustable & The Strength Of Steel

Precisely align crosshairs to bore without using up your scope's internal adjustments just getting sighted in. 3/8" dovetail, steel rings feature dual, opposed locking screws for additional windage adjustment. Individual steel clamps give a secure fit to all dovetail receivers. Interlocking alignment guides ensure ring caps are correctly aligned while splined internal surfaces provide a secure grip that helps prevent scope movement.

SPECS: Steel, blue, polished or matte finish. Nickel, matte finish. 1" (2.5cm) or 30mm (1.18") to fit 3/8" dovetail receivers. Ring heights measured from top of base to inside bottom of ring. 1" Low; .275" (6.9mm), 1" Med.; .395" (10mm), 1" High; .525" (13mm). Med. 30mm; .477" (12mm). Sold in pairs only.

Catalog page 300

This is copied from the other current 640 thread, don't know myself. Mine has an old Lyman with the turrets further forward, and works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.