Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

63 winchester deluxe?

642 5
I love the 63 winchesters, and recently bought another one. It was made about 1940 and has the old style checkering and looks all orginal. It has a cap on the bottom of the pistol grip, and is tapped for a tang sight. My question is. Did Winchester make a deluxe model? Some say yes, and others say no. I don't recall ever seeing one in the books so I don't have a clue. Its about 85-90%. Any rough idea what one would be worth?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
M63 Winchester Deluxe

dalebygod,

All my references only list the 20" and 23" barrel versions of the M63, with 'grooved' receivers on the last rifles made...! ! All had plain walnut pistol grip stocks...! ! My M63 [~ '51] has the 23" barrel and a very nice plain walnut pistol grip stock...! ! :)

However, the M03 was made in a DeLuxe model with a checkered walnut stock...! ! ;) The photo I have of a M03 DeLuxe shows it with a curved butt, whereas the M63 is almost straight. Could someone have switched stocks from a M03 to the M63...? ? :confused:

You'll need more of a Winchester expert than I to resolve this one...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I saw one on Guns America once ( can't remember the price ). Also heard about a gunshow promoter that had one. He wanted $4000 for it. From what I hear, Winchester made several guns that were never listed in their books. I've only owned one original 63 but my dad has owned many. He always says that it was the best .22 auto ever made. I think in his opinion it was the best .22 period. I hope you enjoy yours and good luck on finding out more about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply groundhogsniper. I did talk to Carl McAllister muesum in El Dorado Springs MO.. He told me when It came to Winchester, nothing was for sure! He said Winchester did make a few of them and he had a few in the past, and all with different checkering patterns and sights. They are quite expensive? I didn't buy mine to sell, just shoot and let my kids shoot. I have to agree with your dad too. they are nice little 22's. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
M63: " the best .22 auto ever made ! "

groundhogsniper,
He always says that it was the best .22 auto ever made !
I agree whole heartedly with your Dad...! ! :cool:

I have had mine for ~ 50 years, and it has fired well over 20K rounds: it never failed to feed, and it never failed to fire...! ! :eek:
[I didn't 'always' hit my target though.... :( ]

Although roll marked:
"M63 .22 Long Rifle
Super Speed and Super-X"

it fires .22LR Standard Velocity ammo [Rem #6122] without any problem...! ! I have put over two cases of this ammo [DCM - 10K/case] through my M63...! ! :)

A very fine rifle...! ! :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
63s with factory options

I believe it was possible to special order 63s. I have a second year 63 with a 20" barrel that obviously has extra fancy wood - not checkered, but with extremely nice grain. I also have a 63 manufactured in 1952 that sports a Lyman receiver sight - a #45 I believe - that I always thought was an aftermarket edition. However, Madis idicates that this particular sight was available as a factory option. So it seems that one could special order a 63 with particular options.

I have three of the little rifles [always wanted one when I was a boy, but they were sooooo expensive in the Monkey Wards Big Book. They are the nicest semiauto .22 to plink with, especially the little carbine that has a Marbles peep sight....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.