Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 617, 6" that she really loves... but one problem:
It has a problem giving light hits... with some ammo when clean, most all ammo after the chambers are dirty (I.e. after 50 rounds or so).
I've tried all I know, new springs, extreme cleaning, etc. I almost wonder if the chambers could be rough & collecting fouling which keep the rounds from seating or even chambers that were counter set too deep. I also considered a "short" firing pin but that measures to factory specs.
BTW: The gun was used but looked factory new when purchased...
Any ideas..
Thanks k

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
S&W Light Strikes

k in AR,

Check the Mainspring "Strain Screw" [#51]; I would suspect someone has reduced the tension on the Mainspring [#53] to 'lighten' the trigger pull...! ! :eek: :eek:

Although some 'lightening' is achieved, light strikes is the more common result...! ! :(

S&W K-38 Revolver Exploded View

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigMike,

I checked the strain screw first thing. When that didn't help I replaced it with a new one in just in case someone had shortened it. I've also replaced the main spring with a "full-power" Wolff, but no help there either.

Thanks for replying, got any other ideas?
Thanks, k

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Light Strikes

k in AR,

Does it give 'light strikes' when you load and fire it...? ? :eek:

What I am getting at is that your wife may not be 'pressing' the loaded rounds into the chambers fully, thus allowing some of the firing pin's force to be used to chamber the rounds...! ! ;)

The fact the condition "worsens" as the piece gets fouled would further point towards 'incomplete chambering' as the cause...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the firing pin length, but you've already done that. Cylinder and Slide sells a longer firing pin for the new (frame mounted firing pin) centerfires. I've never had a problem with light strikes on any of my S&W rimfires. Is it of the newer type that has a "ring" around the cylinder or individual counterbores? What dash number is your revolver?

Could be something obstructing the full strike, a bind in the hammer fall perhaps. But that's just a guess. Have you contacted S&W?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had some trouble with my 10 shot 617 when I first purchased it and went through the hoops mentioned here. Finally I sent it back to the S&W Custom Shop for an action tune-up and a number of other custom options. What I got back was absolutely marvelous. I am very pleased with their work.
Rich

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went through this with my brand new 617 last year. After naively loosening the mainspring to lighten the trigger pull, I had at least one misfire per 10-round cylinder. Yeah, the trigger was lighter, but at too high a price.

I finally turned the screw back to the factory setting and resigned myself to living with it. Things got better, however, after about 1000 rounds, and now that I have nearly 2000 rounds through the gun, the trigger has reached a satisfying point. By the time it gets to 5000 rounds, it should be about perfect.

As far as your problem is concerned, it sounds like the services of a good gunsmith are in order.
Best of luck to you.
DAL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.