Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

6-18x40 suggestions

1308 21
.22 rimfire application
Very little 25yd application
Mostly 50-100yd applications

I'm leaning toward the Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster @ $350.00

Any other Sub $500.00 6-18x40 scopes I should consider?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
+1 on the Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm. Lots of reticle options available and can always change the reticle later for different applications for $40..... also better resale value some day when you want to sell it. Gunbroker has some nice deals, e-bay to.... also a sponser if you don't want to play on the auctions - www.theopticzone.com.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't believe in spending anywhere near that much on a basic .22 rimfire scope. I'm very happy with my 6-18x50 AO Bushnell Banner. They go for about $120. I would pay a bit more than that to get target turrets - but not much. I think an AO is essential for a rimfire. If I was hunting a lot in the 100 yard range, I would also consider a mildot reticle or ballistic reticle such as the one here:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

The ballistic reticles have a bit of an advantage over the standard mildot as the graduations are not linear and perhaps are more suitable for estimating holdover. The mildots on the other hand (providing you can remember the numbers) are better for compensating for wind.

The only other nice feature would be a side focus/parallax adjustment. In your application they would work, as they only go down to about 25 yards for focus, and that seems ok with you. A side focus is a lot more conventient to use in the field especially with a long scope.

In short for a higher powered rimfire scope, I think AO or Side Focus is a must, and if you have extra $$'s to spend, I would look for useful features and not just an expensive scope -- Target Turrets, & Ballistic or Mildot reticle considering you are planning to shoot at longer ranges (for a .22).

Edit: I looked at the scope you are considering after I wrote this -- dumb. Looks like it has all the features I talked about. The ballistic reticles appear to be an option. I would consider it. It would be nice to find this package at a lower price. Perhaps others can suggest - Bushnell Elite 4200? I have not looked at the SF too seriously due to the minimum focus limitation.

Ron

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
I side with the Leupold. For under $500, the Leupold should be your ONLY consideration. Far better than the others, and I believe in spending as much as your able to for a scope. Your gun is no better then the scope you put on it. You put a $50 scope on a Anschutz rifle, and you won;t shoot much better than any other rimfire with a $50 scope on it. For the amount you stated, go for the Leupold and you won't be wondering later if you should have bought it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6x18

6x18x40, Narrow field these days...
Not many out there anymore with a 40mm Obj.
With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with the Nikon

I have the Nikon on my .22. I bought the target dot reticle because it has fine cross hairs, I have Nikon's 4x14 mildot, and while I love the scope, the cross hairs are not fine enough for my purposes.

The Nikon has 40 MOA of adjustment, that means about 20-25 usable. From a 50 yard zero, you need about 27 MOA to make 200. Just something to think about when looking at some of the other scopes.

We just put a Bushnell 4200 on my wifes 22. When zeroed there were only 10 MOA up left, means we will need to change to burris sig. zee rings to get enough elevation to shoot at 100 + yards:mad:

I would look at the Nikon 6x18 from Midway. It has a Mildot reticle, I would want to talk to someone in the CS department that would provide the sub tenon (sp?) measurements though before I bought it.

The downside to the Nikon, parellex does not come down to 25 yards. I simply turn it all the way down, lower the power setting and make sure my check weld is very good.

Hope this gives you more food for thought.
Good Luck

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm with Old Sidewinder. The Buckmaster series from Nikon is the way to go. I have several in different magnifications and they get the job done. I just recently bought a Nikon Monarch 6-24 for my Anchutz. I have heard, but can't tell you where, that Leupold is not good at holding settings or dialing in.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't believe in spending anywhere near that much on a basic .22 rimfire scope. I'm very happy with my 6-18x50 AO Bushnell Banner. They go for about $120. I would pay a bit more than that to get target turrets - but not much. I think an AO is essential for a rimfire. If I was hunting a lot in the 100 yard range, I would also consider a mildot reticle or ballistic reticle such as the one here:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

The ballistic reticles have a bit of an advantage over the standard mildot as the graduations are not linear and perhaps are more suitable for estimating holdover. The mildots on the other hand (providing you can remember the numbers) are better for compensating for wind.

The only other nice feature would be a side focus/parallax adjustment. In your application they would work, as they only go down to about 25 yards for focus, and that seems ok with you. A side focus is a lot more conventient to use in the field especially with a long scope.

In short for a higher powered rimfire scope, I think AO or Side Focus is a must, and if you have extra $$'s to spend, I would look for useful features and not just an expensive scope -- Target Turrets, & Ballistic or Mildot reticle considering you are planning to shoot at longer ranges (for a .22).

Edit: I looked at the scope you are considering after I wrote this -- dumb. Looks like it has all the features I talked about. The ballistic reticles appear to be an option. I would consider it. It would be nice to find this package at a lower price. Perhaps others can suggest - Bushnell Elite 4200? I have not looked at the SF too seriously due to the minimum focus limitation.

Ron
I also have the Bushnell Banner 6x18x50 and it performs verry well on my .223 cal. :bthumb:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I really like my Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x40 with the 1/4" dot. For the money (got mine for $389 delivered) they are hard to beat and they stand behind their products. Great glass and repeatability.

That or the Leupold if your going all the way to $500.

Bo

·
Registered
664 Posts
VXII or 4200 (6-24x)

I have both of these scopes. Both great scopes. 4200 focus's closer,is larger and is at least as clear and bright as the VXII. VXII 6-18x needs a adapter to focus closer than about 40 meters but is modifiable by the factory and is more compact than the 4200. Both hold their value well but the VXII may be better.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Give the Bushnell 3200 in 7-21 some consideration. It's a good scope for the money. I have a trophy 6-18x, but the reticle is too thick to suit me. You can get one of those for $179 at Midway right now.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Weaver 6-24. I would consider that one too.

EJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.