Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys I want thoughts good or bad on the 22mag. I know the story and horror tales for the most part with the clips and the bullet followers. What else if anything and with the 22mag only, as I am not going to get a 17HMR or the 22LR if I get one.

You have to love the price difference on these from the 10/22mag. I like the feel of the 597 plenty good, I think they feel great actually. Not really concerned with any problems it may or may not have either, just want to know what they might be before I get one.

I like to mess around with things, really mess around with things way bad too LOL. So figure I can fix whatever might need to be. For sure the hammer and extractor right from the get go LOL. Then from just looking at the gun for the first time, figure I will make me a stainless trigger guard, as I did for my butt plate on the 10/22 I have, not much on the CPS unless its in the right place and the butt plate nor the trigger guard seems to me, the place LOL.

So, guys tell me what you like or would like better about the 597M, sure would like to hear them and discuss all of them here. I don't expect this to be a trash the 597 topic either, as I will not be part of that. I really have a hard time thinking of any gun as trash anyway. Between guns and tools I can spend every dollar ever earned by all of us and not have all the toys I want LOL. So how bout it, talk to me about the 597's and the magnum for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
It sounds like you have most of it covered. I have the lr version but there aren't that many differences. When I first got it, I was about to burn it because I would get FTF's or FTE's every other shot. Oh did that gun make me angry. Once I found this sight, the 597 was cured. I bought the VQ ejector and hammer and got my plastic mag replaced, by remington for free, with one of the new mk III mags. That was basically the end of my problems. Now I am in the process of making an all aluminum trigger assembly housing and once the Jard trigger system comes out I plan on buying that. I also want to make a 25 round magazine. I am sorry I couldn't tell you anything about the mag version but this has been my experience. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thats cool as I figure they all are about the same for as how they work anyway. Now what about the safety, I have read that it has been somewhat annoying on some as well?

I have not decided to get one of these in the magnum, but have certainly not ruled one out either. Mostly to just mess around with it at first to see if I can make this rifle shoot like I figure they will. I guess I need to find someone like you, before you found RFC LOL. They could throw the rifle at me to make them feel better and I can mess around with it for a while and see if I could make her run out LOL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally haven't had any problems with the safety mechanism but every once and a while my trigger won't reset but I have figured out the problem and it involves a little spring on the trigger linkage that helps reset the trigger. If you haven't already bought this gun, you should. For $100 on rebate you can get a decent little gun that, with a little tweaking, will out perform a ruger 10/22 out of the box.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not aware of any rebates on the 597magnum's. Best prices on new ones has been around 249-268, those was the very best. I have seen a fee used ones for a little less but was on an auction site and so far been out bid on these LOL. I will just not spend that much for a used one when I can buy a new one for 268 easy enough.

I may keep bidding on some of these I see and sooner or later I will end up with one whether I want it and all its trouble or not probably LOL. I do figure I can fix whatever is the problem with them though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figure your right about that too. I see the 10/22mags are way more than the LR version as well, they do have the carbon steel receiver, but that ain't something I want to pay extra for anyway LOL. If that was stainless, it would be different but they ain't.

The marketing guys all over the hype word magnum LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.