Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to Remington 597's - in fact semi's of any kind. Looking for a bit of advice.
First I have read the sticky's regarding these, and have looked through a lot of the posts but did not see anything quite resembling my issue...

Loaded the magazine (10 in a circle, metal mag) that came with the rifle (black barrel, camo stock, iron sights, put a cheap Bushnell 3-9 on it, sorry no pic yet) and chambered a round.

First shot OK, but the brass stovepiped.:mad: I will probably just end up with the Volquartsen Exact-Edge regardless, so no biggy there.
Clear the brass, chamber the next round (second one through the brand new rifle remember) brass clears, next round chambers and a tinkling sound at me feet finds me the ejector that came flying out....:eek:
Anyone else had this happen to them?

My only other foray in to the Remington world is a 510Targetmaster ($pd $95.00, two months ago, and here is how it looks after a once over)

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk402/mscott_45/510_sm.jpg

and a Peerless O/U shotgun.

Love the forums and this site! Thanks in advance for any thoughts and replies.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
You need to send that back to Remington right away, they will fix it. My 597 has been flawless. They need to be made aware of failures like that, especially so early on. That way, they can continue to improve the design (or quality control) of all rifles.

Side note: what ammo are you using?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That 510 is sweet!

I agree, send the 597 back and let Remington fix it. While it was out, I'd go ahead and order a Volquartson exact edge extractor just in case.

Good luck with it. I'm on the fence on this rifle. Lots of people, way too many in my view, have had problems with theirs. Then you have a lot of people that swear by them not at them. It seems that it could be a decent design, but that the quality is not quite where it needs to be. I might be concerned how the rifle might perform over a period of a decade or so - will normal wear and tear bring problems back?

I have a 550-1 made in the 50's that is very accurate (for a tube fed auto) and it shoots every time. It doesn't get cleaned that often and just works. It's not real pretty; they weren't pretty when they came out of the box, but it sure works nice.

EJ

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only "tinkling" I've experienced with any of my three 597s involves the hold open pin, hold open device and hold open spring (13, 14 and 15 on the schematic) when I have the rifle apart for cleaning. My .22LR model seems to be better made in that regard than my .22WMR and .17HMR versions. I agree with Ski, get it back to Remington ASAP. I got into the 597s because I felt it time to retire my Winchester 63 (a 1942 model according to the serial number), which ranks as my all-time favorite semi. As shooters, my 597s have been virtually flawless and I love 'em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.