Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 597 from Walmart today...

I've got the bolt carrier group in front of me right now, and on the underside of it (under the dome, inside the A-shape), there is a ragged hole near the extractor.

It's on the underside of the "rail" structure on the underside, closest to the extractor. Not where the guide rails go, but where the magazine feeds into. The hole is about an 1/8" dia. but is oval and ragged.

It doesn't seem to affect the operation of the rifle, but I'm concerned about long term effects.

Also, I don't want to have to pay shipping and insurance on my new rifle in order for Remington to fix this, AND have to wait a month... Do you think they would let me swap the whole bolt group out and give me a new one?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 597 and noticed the same ragged hole. I checked my brother-in-laws and he had the same. I agree it does not seem to be intended, but I can not tell if it has impacted my rifle's performance. Besides the the constant feeding and jamming problems.

·
Registered
645 Posts
OK ... I've noticed this hole too and never gave it any thought.
It's almost midnight but I had to take it apart and give it a look, so I used a magnifying glass to get a good look
You can see the extractor in the hole if you move it.
As the underside of the bolt is being machined, it's so close to the cutouts for the extractor and plunger that maybe it breaks through in that spot.
Being that the hole is not round, I dont think it's drilled on purpose .... the under side and the extractor holes are designed too close and you get a break through.
I'll bet they're all like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.