Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
houseofpain

Midway is as cheap as anyone. They have them in metal, but you will probably be like the rest of us and have to wait for the back-order. Took three months to get my four extras.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really? wallmart? ill call them right now to make sure, here in cali its unlikely that they would have had mags in the first place and now that they dont sell guns at chances are slim, but ill try it! ill try big 5 maybe too

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Hey, how do you guys keep your pot metal '597 mags from getting all funky? Mine get some strange gray "sandpaper" type patina all over them when they are in storage for awhile. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My mags look gray, but they don't get sandpapery...

Of course the longest I've stored them without cleaning is a week. Maybe try a light coat of CLP before storing, then wipe it off before you use the mags?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is oxidation on your mags. A light coat of lube before storage should solve that problem.

By the way, thanks for the tip on the reversed spring in the mag. Who would have thought that a spring could go in backwards:mad: :mad: :mad: !!! I have now marked the "bottom-front" of all of my mag springs with a bit of red paint so they don't go in "backwards" again.:t

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Barry said:
If your mags get in that condition when stored I would have to question where/how you are storing them. Are they in a humid place with temp swings?

Barry
Ooops, sorry about missing this post yesterday. No, they are not stored in a humid place (at least I don't think it's humid?). They did spend some time in water though (basement flood), but when I found them, I thought I dried them out well. Funny thing is that there was one of those MTM charge bar thingies (for MEC shotshell presses) in the water too, and even though it's made out of pot-metal zinc castings like the '597 mags are, there appears to be no oxidation on it. Maybe my hands just have some type of weird sweat coming out of them that the Remington zinc just doesn't get along too well with? Anyway, thanks for the CLP suggestion, I'm probably going to try that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They may still work, but your rifle may still work even though IT has rust on it... Or your car may still run, even though you haven't changed the oil in 20,000 miles.

I think it's better to protect it with 50 cents of CLP and 5 minutes of effort, than to pay 10 bucks each for new magazines a couple months down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I'm not really worried about the oxidation on the outside, I spent about fifteen minutes polishing the outside of each one (I have three pot metal mags) with an old lead removing cloth I had lying around, and even though they don't look perfect even after all that polishing, the bigtime oxidation that was on them is gone now. I just hope now that they are not oxidised on the inside, I imagine it could turn out to be a real bi*ch trying to get things cleaned up in there (it's bad enough just trying to get them disassembled). I wish Remington (and the other arms manufacturers) would pay a few extra cents and stop using cheap sh*t like zinc (I expect to see zink on a Lorcin) to make things like their magazines, you would think they learned their lesson with the problems the plastic mags had to continue to try cutting corners making substandard (cheap zinc) parts. :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.