Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

597- Hole in bolt?

580 4
I bought my 597 .22LR new about 2 months ago and was finally able to shoot it this past weekend. I fired one shot and experienced the jamming that now seems to be commonplace with this weapon. After 20 rounds and about 5 jams, I put it back in my case.

When I got home I decided to take apart the weapon, and it looks like I got a Friday afternoon/Monday morning gun. The front bolt holding the barrel/receiver/trigger housing had a flat spot on the threads. Great. When I got everything broken down, I saw a small hole on the bottom of the bolt. It was in the bottom of the right groove, about 1/2 " away from the front. Almost looks like there was a small blowout because the hole doesn't look machined.

So, has anyone else had this problem? If so, was there a fix or did you just go with it? If there was already a thread on this, just send me the link because I was unable to find it.

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is supposed to be there. Often debated on why but I found it was right in line with the extractor plunger and spring. Though some don't suggest it is a good idea it really helped me to install a new exact edge extractor in my rifle. BTW surf around here and learn how to make your rifle run the way it should. They often need tweaking a bit but most find that they are more accurate than a 10/22 (OEM Barrels).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Snoopaloop said:
I bought my 597 .22LR new about 2 months ago and was finally able to shoot it this past weekend. I fired one shot and experienced the jamming that now seems to be commonplace with this weapon. After 20 rounds and about 5 jams, I put it back in my case.

When I got home I decided to take apart the weapon, and it looks like I got a Friday afternoon/Monday morning gun. The front bolt holding the barrel/receiver/trigger housing had a flat spot on the threads. Great. When I got everything broken down, I saw a small hole on the bottom of the bolt. It was in the bottom of the right groove, about 1/2 " away from the front. Almost looks like there was a small blowout because the hole doesn't look machined.

So, has anyone else had this problem? If so, was there a fix or did you just go with it? If there was already a thread on this, just send me the link because I was unable to find it.

Thanks!
Oh yeah! Don't worry about it as I have two 597's and they BOTH have those holes. It does appear to be a quick and dirty action access hole for the extractors and it's spring. All that matters is it's function. Anything else Remington would have to fix.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a break-through hole .... The underside of the bolt is machined and the hole for the extractor plunger is drilled ... on a slight angle and things are so close it starts to break through.
Since the first time this was ever brought up I don't recommend using it to remove the extractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.