Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

597 blew up

2472 Views 47 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Picher
Hey guys, my .17 hmr blew up today. The bolt handle shot across my truck and hit my friend. The magazine also blew apart, sending the spring and base to god knows where. Has anybody else seen this before. It scared the crap out of me. Thanks for any ideas as to why this happened.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
I'd like to see some photo's, and before I jumped all over Remington, I'd also be packaging all the ammo you were shooting. Federal and PMC are both already in litigation over quality control issues in their basic lines, and no court case, if you have any, would ever stand up without thorough examination by not only Remington, but by the ammunition manufacturer in question as well.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was shooting CCI. Thank god I was wearing ears and eyes. That was the loudest .17 hmr I have ever heard. The gun has less than 300 rounds through it.

I just thought I would have to send it back to Remington. I flinched all day when I was shooting the rest of my guns. Something like this will really gets your attention.

I just called the store where I purchased it and they said they will send it back to Remington for me. That seems like the only option for me. I can't really see getting an attorney for this. It just ticks me off.

· Registered
6,342 Posts
I guess everone would like to try a 597. I dont believe this is the first posting like this-and many describing all kinds of feeding, loading and extraction problems. At some point shooters have to assume some responsibility for buying a piece of junk.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
langenc said:
I guess everone would like to try a 597. I dont believe this is the first posting like this-and many describing all kinds of feeding, loading and extraction problems. At some point shooters have to assume some responsibility for buying a piece of junk.
The shooters don't make the piece of junk, nor do they know it is a piece of junk when they buy it.Shooters ought to be able assume that the "piece of junk" will not blow up in their hands. That is not the shooters' responsibility. That is the responsibility of the manufacturers, the guns and the ammo. You're lucky no one got hurt or maimed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel very fortunate that I or my buddy didn't get hurt. The bolt handle bounced off his stomach. I have no idea where the magazine floor or the extractor went. I am pretty sure the mag parts bounced off my let. Thank god the handle didn't hit my friend in the eye.

· Registered
680 Posts
f9mountainman said:
Hey guys, my .17 hmr blew up today. The bolt handle shot across my truck and hit my friend. The magazine also blew apart, sending the spring and base to god knows where. Has anybody else seen this before. It scared the crap out of me. Thanks for any ideas as to why this happened.
Glade everyone is alright.

Do you still have the case? It would tell you if the gun fired out of battery. It can happen on semi autos. Or if the rim ruptured. Got a hold of some bad 22LR ammo back in the 70s. Had the rim just blow open. Thought it was a fluke the 1st time. But not the 2nd time.

· Registered
22 Posts
F9...
Make sure that you get the ruptured case, if you still have it, and send the gun and the ruptured case to Remington. If you still have any of the unfired ammo then that would be very helpful to Remington in diagnosing what happened. If you don't have any ammo left then a note with the gun that lets them know the brand and the lot number of the ammo would be the next best thing. It's difficult to determine exactly what happened in these instances without the ammo.

· Registered
36 Posts
Everyone get ready, I'm sure some folks will dial their flamers to high for this :Blasting_ .......

Not to doubt f9, cause bad things happen to good people, guns, cars, etc., and I do believe that f9 had this failure, but some of the replies to this thread have some outward signs of a "Let's dogpile on the Remington, cause its not our beloved 10/22" overtones. From just the general layout of this site, and looking at the post history of many of this threads respondents, I'm not saying it is, but the validity of some members complaints would get a sideways looks from me personally.

I know any gun can fail to achieve battery, and unfortunately many can fire in this condition no matter the quality. The only gun failure I have ever had personally was a Sig Sauer (I believe arguably in the top 2-3 quality gun makers in the world) M11 that I believe failed to achieve battery and still fired, thereby rupturing the case and rocketing the mag out the bottom of the gun and rustling the feathers of the guy standing next to me shooting. Needless to say I flinched shooting dang near everything for a while. While in the service, I saw the results of failed weapons, mostly the above mentioned case ruptures blowing mags out of everything from M9's, M4's, M16's, a Mossy 500, and up to SAW's, now you want to talk about an exciting time, have a SAW blow up in your face. Saw pictures of what was left of a marine after an M203 blew in the barrel. Bad times for certain, he lived, but..... :(

By far the most common however was the failed Beretta M9, saw no less than 5 slide failures in 8 years of service. The two guys I personally tended to looked like real crap after the almost 1lb chunk of steel bopped them in the face.

MY OPINION ONLY

DOC

· Registered
444 Posts
mountainman,congrats on not looking up the legal folk first,well done,.you wan`t to know what happened,so ask remington to explain the circumstances,then make your decision as to weather it was their fault,cci`s ,your`s ,or the bug that got into your barrel{if you know what i mean} but the most important thing is to get BACK ON THAT HORSE AND KICK THE HELL OUT OF IT.IT MUST HAVE BEEN HELL but it is past,enjoy your sport,it is dangerous you know!!

· Registered
82 Posts
langenc said:
I've seen a 10/22 blow up in a similar fashion. I guess that they are pieces of junk too. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,008 Posts
smoky said:
That is what the US needs.... more people like yourself. :mad:
Just trying to tell the gentleman how to preserve his rights. I see nothing wrong with that. Sure, send the gun back to the manufacturer, and they'll be pleased to destroy it, and send the gentleman a new gun, to which he is entitled anyway. Maybe they'll even throw in a couple boxes of ammo for his trouble. Don't know about you Sir, but most people do not enjoy being screwed, at least like that. ;)

· Registered
1,066 Posts
The kind of destruction discussed here for both the 597 and Ruger had to be the result of very high pressures. Perhaps caused by having a dud round (or two) lodged in the barrel when the damaging round was fired. A plugged bore from dirt is unlikely to have caused the problem, but it's possible. Usually that results in a burst barrel near the muzzle.

It's highly unlikely that a double charge of powder could have been put in a case, since the loads are probably close to full-case. It's also unlikely that a FTF going off would have done that much damage, but I suppose it could have if the round went sideways in the breech and fired by catching the rim between the bolt and barrel face.

If you still have the rifle, check the bore to see if there is a slight bulge a few inches ahead of the chamber. If so, a bullet was lodged in the barrel near that point when the next one was touched off.

Bad metallurgy can also happen, as we've seen from recent Sako centerfire fluted barrel incidents where the barrels tore apart. However, these rimfire rounds don't normally generate as high pressures, so I wouldn't think it to be a metallurgy problem until checking out other things mentioned above.

Picher

· Registered
10 Posts
Big Bad Wolf said:
Just trying to tell the gentleman how to preserve his rights. I see nothing wrong with that. Sure, send the gun back to the manufacturer, and they'll be pleased to destroy it, and send the gentleman a new gun, to which he is entitled anyway. Maybe they'll even throw in a couple boxes of ammo for his trouble. Don't know about you Sir, but most people do not enjoy being screwed, at least like that. ;)
Sue Sue Sue it's the American way. No politician will put the gun companies out of business quicker.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
vicg said:
Sue Sue Sue it's the American way. No politician will put the gun companies out of business quicker.
I think people on this forum are confusing the types of lawsuits brought against gun manufacturers, which is the source of disagreement here. The lawsuits for the sole purpose of litigating the gun manufacturers out of business are the baseless, frivolous suits brought against the manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers when the product (gun) has been used in the manner for which it was designed, and it functioned properly. I have successfully defended wholesalers/retailer against this type of frivolous lawsuit.

What the gentleman who started this thread has described, however, is not a baseless, frivolous claim where the product (gun) has functioned as intended. To the contrary, it has not functioned as intended. It exploded. How would you feel if a gun you thought was safe to fire exploded in your hands, or if you were relying upon a gun to defend yourself against deadly force malfunctioned? It does happen and the consequences are serious. The gentleman who started this thread was simply lucky. He may, or may not, need a lawyer, but he should make that choice in an calculated, informed manner, not because friends or internet buddies are chiding him against holding the manufacturer to a high standard of care. The same applies to automobiles, airplanes, restaurants, basically everything turned loose on the public. For good reason.

To think of it another way, many posts on this board and others have voiced complaints about one manufacturer's decision to incorporate passive locking devices and magazine drop deactivation devices on its new line of semi-automatic pistols. Complaints seem to focus on these devices possibly rendering the guns inoperable in the event of dire necessity, i.e., using deadly force in self defense when faced with deadly force. I agree. If a pistol fails when it is needed most, then the product is defective and cannot be trusted. In that case, the manufacturer should be called upon to respond in legal damges (money) if its product (the gun) did not perform as intended. When that happens, someone, possibly the gun or the ammo manufacturer, or both, were negligent. If someone is injured or killed due to their negligence, they must be held accountable.

That's your short lesson in products liability law. The law was not designed to litigate lawful producers of legitimate products out of business for political purposes. Just because some charlatans pervert the law for their own misguided purpose does not mean that the law itself is frivolous or unjust. Like guns, my friends, the law doesn't hurt people, people who misuse it hurt people.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.