Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
They have dramatically increased in price since the announcement of new ammo being available.. I bought one about 4 years ago for 125.00 then 6 months later turned one down for 75.00,, who needed two when you couldn't afford to shoot one,, ammo then was about 65.00 a box. it was an expensive proposition just to zero a scope in... on the auction sites they have been bringing in good condition 350-425 or so.. there are only 2 listed now, one like new in its orignal box for over 500, and another that is in the 500 range.. I just ran two in the local "trading post" weekly ad paper,, a 592 like new for 375, and a 591 with re-finished stock and about 95% blue,, I wound up trading the 592 for a Marlin Golden 39A made in 1958, This paper is distributed in about a 100 mile radius , but someone from over 600 miles away saw it on the intrnet and called and is in the process of buying the 591.. I believe I could have run them on the gun auction sites and gotten more, but with the way I work, and the hassle of shipping, getting FFL's etc.. I decided to go the local route,, even though I wound up having to go through it on one anyway.. I think the mid 300 range is about a decent price for one in good shape,,There are still some out there who don't know about the new ammo, so some deals can be found.. I mentioned in my ad that there was plenty of "new" ammo availiable. the first call I had was somebody that apparantley did'nt understand "new",, he finally said he wasn't interested in the rifles, but wanted to know how much ammo I had, probably thought he could get it much less than the 75.00 a box that the original ammo, which I suppose he thought I had was going for.. Was he surprised when I told him that it was being made again for about 16.00 a box....To find a "deal" on one , you'll have to just ask around locally, or stand outside at a gunshow.. I bought an extra mag. from a parts dealer at a show 3 months ago, still in the tattered cardboard pack, for 18.95,, I had seen them on gunbroker go for 50-100 a month or so before, so there are still "deals" to be had if you hurry

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought a 591m in a pawn shop for $80 several days ago. Its about 90-95% but no magazine. The guy I bought it from said ammo was very expensive and it was not "working right." After cleaning the stuff that looked like yellow, oily paper fiber (probably 30 year old grease) out of the trigger group and reassembled, it works fine. I'm hoping to find a magazine some day, until till then I'll have to be content with a single shot.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm goint to guess that the new CZ might be better shooters than the original Remingtons. And price difference between the 2 (Rem-CZ) would be pretty close too.

How good do the Remingtons normally shoot?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The two best shooters out of the three that I had a couple of weeks ago, were in the neighborhood of 3/4-1 1/4" at 100 yards,, these groups were fired on a fairly windy day, and the light was beginning to fade., this was with the new ammo, the one rifle that I had, had shot the original stuff into basically the same range of group size, about 3-4 years ago.. one group with the original stuff was about 5/8" if i remember correctly... I had read that generally the tube fed 592 shot slightly better, but it was not the case with the 1 that I had , it was terrible, only shooting the best group that day of about 2 1/4" its a shame , it was in like new condition, and it is the one I was hoping to keep of the 3.. Remember though, that this is from a slim barrel with a kind of lousy trigger,, but these rifles have incredibly fast lock time though, so a little trigger work should greatly improve them, and they are about 40 years old too... Yes the new CZ should be a tack driver,, and the Savage too...

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
louie.... since you said "had", I assume you don't have access to try it, but with the 592, the "action" screw is not into the action (or receiver) and as such is extremely critical when tightning the screw. The screw actually is threaded into a dovetailed barrel block that has the mag tube running through it. Fastening the stock to the barrel is not a good idea. I found mine shot pretty well when I first got the new ammo. Then after cleaning it and having it out of the stock, the accuracy sucked. Played with the screw torque and it came back. I haven't tried it at 100 yds. and don't recall exactly what i was getting at 50, but wasn't bad. I need to get out with it again and also play with the torque a little more.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Grandparem,,, I really hate to hear that, I traded it off last week, like I said that was the one I wanted to keep , it was mint..IIRC the "action"screw was a little farther forward than on the 591's,,, sure wish I had known at the time, would have experimented a little,, I noticed that occasionally the rounds were a little hard to feed and chamber in the 592, I figured it was the blunt tip on the new loading, they fed fine on both 591's

·
Registered
121 Posts
To all of the above: if you own a 592 tube-fed, you have to set the torque on the barrel take-down screw very carefully for best accuracy. I found this out back in the '70s with my 592 after I glass-bedded the barrel, and I also lacquer sealed the inside of the stock, including the inletted areas around the trigger/action/barrel/magazine, also under the butt plate and grip cap. I gradually increased the barrel screw torque until the groups started opening up, then backed it off until the best groups stabilized again. It has not been out of the stock since then! Back then I could regularly get 1/2" to 5/8" five shot groups at 100 yds on a reasonably calm day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks again.. I'll never have another one in that nice a shape,, I was just in a hurry to decide which one of the three to keep, and it was such a lousy shooter even with its good looks I let it go... Looking back at the targets I shot that day, I noticed it was more or less vertically stringing them,, THAT should have told me it was a stock to bbl problem,, but I didn't have the time to sand it out or whatever,, do the 591's seem sensitive to the action screw?????

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
do the 591's seem sensitive to the action screw?????
I have never had a 591, but I would assume it is no more or less sensitive than most. They all are influenced to a degree by the screw torque unless they are pillar bedded, then they are not very susceptible to torque.
BTW, I also noticed a feed problem when I had my 592 torqued to tight.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I just bought a 591 for $325 plus $25 shipping. A year ago you could probably have gotten one NIB for that price or close to it. Doing a past auction search at gunbroker.com for the last 90 days will give you an idea of what the guns are bringing if you can find one. I'm sure there are alot of people who are still in the dark, like I was until last thursday, so there are bound to still be some bargains out there. I feel like I paid a fair price though. With the currentavailability of new rifles chambered for this cartridge being zero, it's not like a person has many options. Plus when you consider what $300 buys you in a new gun these days I feel like the remington is a good value. Since they (591 and 592) were the only guns ever chambered in this cartridge, I also feel they will retain their value even as new guns hit the market. Remember my opinions and advice are worth exactly what you paid for them. Regards Ron

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, completed an on line auction yesterday for a 591M, paid $350 for it. There are a couple of 591/592 up for auction right now and the starting bids are $525. So I will shoot this one for a while, if I don't like it maybe I can sell it in a few months for a profit and buy a CZ when they are available this winter or when ever. Now I need ammo. Thought I saw some last week at the Black Sheep. Guess where I'm going after work today?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.