Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the Remington 552? I've seen older ones in pawn shops, but I saw a new one in WalMart the other day and I'm seriously thinking about putting it in layaway. Can anyone give me a little history on this rifle? Is it reliable? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
50 year history i think

my 572 seems to have some jamming problems ........its only been shot 150 times or so........i think i maybe should have cleaned the action before shooting it.......it may have some "new gun grease" in it

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have 2 552's. One of them was made in '68 and the newer one not sure since I am at work but I believe it was made in the 80's (been a while since I checked). The older model has a 23 1/2 inch barrel and is in pretty good condition. I haven't done any heavy shooting with it but what little I've done has been good. The newer one has a 20 or 20 1/2 inch barrel and has developed a cocking problem (I think it needs a good strip and clean). Otherwise, it's been a good shooter, reliable and fun plinking rifle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have 2 of the 552's. One from mid sixty's that Daddy bought new for me when I became a teenager, a used one from early eighty's for a back-up if the first ever broke. Both ADL. I have not shot the newer one. I have not had any problems with the other. I have probably killed a truckload of groundhogs and that many squirrels, too, with it, and I always used the cheapest ammo I could find. They're great guns. Point good. Shoot good. If they get a little sticky in the action, a good cleaning will get them right back in good order fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.