Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

54 or 64...

808 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jaywalker
I expect to buy a new Anschutz within the next week or so, but I'm conflicted as to which model, and "buy both" isn't a valid option. Here's the issue as it stands:

It will be a 22 Magnum; right now I'm not interested in 22 LR or 17 HMR.

It will be either a 1516D KL MC or a 1720D KL MC, both Monte Carlo stock types with sights.

Both will be suitably (or even "exactly" as) accurate, in my hands; I'm not sufficiently expert to wring out of the 54 action the extra goodness within.

The dollar difference between the two is not an issue.

The weight difference between the two is an issue.

Both models "feel" fine to me, with the 1720 having a better feel.

Both "look" okay to me, with the 64 being a "just barely" in this category.

Most of my shooting will be at 100 yards at the range, usually while waiting for my centerfire barrels to cool.

Hunting live game will be present, but limited; largest animals would/might be woodchucks out to 100 yards or coyotes to 50 yards, should they take up residence in my neighborhood.

So it comes down to the difference in weight. I understand from a recent thread that the 1720 weighs right at seven pounds, compared to five-and-a-half for the 1516. I know from toting my M70 Classic "Featherweight" (right...) through the low Virginia hills that seven pounds plus scope is right on the outskirts of acceptable for me; another half pound pushes it right over the edge to "unacceptable." I'd have to mount a receiver sight instead of a scope for squirrels.

So, you folks who own either - I need some more facts to break the logjam my decision process has become. What issues am I missing?

Jaywalker
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,837 Posts
well, if it's weight that's the issue, sounds like you've answered your question already..

But, if it was up to me, I'd say go for the 1720 and get stronger so the weight isn't an issue.. :)

I don't hunt, so carrying the rifle around for extended periods isn't something I do. I've got an older 54 sporter (like the 1710 these days) and a 164 ( like the 1416) and the 164 is definitely lighter, but the 54 is just a class act. :)

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Hmm..

1720 = much nicer rifle............ ;)

But 1720 does also = 7.5 pounds or so.......

But having had both, ie, a couple 64's and the 1717D 54 series, they are both nice, but the 17xx series is simply a cut above.. :)

I would find a way to make the 1720 work, use a lighter scope, put on a nice light nylon sling for easier field carry?

They are just nice.......

· Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I figured it, too. I hoped someone would point out a slap-my-forehead-and-call-me-stupid, Blinding Flash of the Obvious. I've almost decided on the 54, but the day's early yet.

Jaywalker

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Well, I can come over there and slap you if you really want me too, but I was trying to be somewhat polite. :) (vbg)

I sure love how my 1717D feels and shoots. It's like shooting a swiss watch if you get my drift. I feel it's an experience not to be missed..

Heck, I hate and regret that I waited so long in my life for my first Annie, but since I bought that first one, I've come to my senses and bought 4-5 more in the last couple of years. :)

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Jaywalker,

I own a 64 version sporter. And 54 action match gun. The match is much to heavy to haul around in the woods. And the 64 is an excellent rifle. Very accurate, far more than is required for field use.

So there is no rational reason why an excellent, accurate, well made rifle for field use wouldn't be more than good enough.

On the other hand, like others are telling you, there is just something about a 54 that oozes quality. You just feel good handling one, working the bolt on one. A top notch firearm for sure.

So rationally, the 64 will do it for you and do it while being lighter to tote around. But you really owe it to yourself to own a 54 action rifle. You only live once. Though the 54 will out live you, and provide pleasure for lives after yours is over.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
esldude said:
So rationally, the 64 will do it for you and do it while being lighter to tote around. But you really owe it to yourself to own a 54 action rifle. You only live once. Though the 54 will out live you, and provide pleasure for lives after yours is over.
............:yeahthat:..........

· Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, rimfirerod. If it didn't have a "reserve not met" tag, that would interest me. I've basically found such auctions to be a complete waste of time and don't bother with them anymore. (They could start the bidding at their reserve and accomplish the same thing while appearing more transparent. Do I really want to buy something from somebody who starts off by telling me he's hiding something?)

Jaywalker

· Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd say just click "buy it now" for 800 and be done with it.. it's a 54 sporter, and I know my 54 sporter will be the last gun I ever get rid of if I have to liquidate.. The trigger guards on the older ones were pretty stylish, at least I think more so than the newer ones.

PS.. I don't see these in .22 mag all that often, usually 22LR. Too bad I'm not shopping for a mag!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.