Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

54 bolt breakdown

347 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  claketyclak
How hard is the 54 bolt to break down ? Mine is a 1413 model if that makes a difference . Also , , how bad would bad ignition affect accuracy ? in other words , just how bad would it cause fliers ? It seems to be getting worse and worse for misfires , and fliers seem to be getting worse too . For example , this evening when shooting some SK Match-50 and Lapua Midas L it seemed I would get three of the five into a group about.30"OTO or less and then have two fliers as far north as the 4 ring on a USBR target . I generally use the top of the 8 ring for POI when checking ammo for consistancy with the Xring as POA . So you can see my concern that is quite a jump . Thanks , claketyclak
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
619 Posts
Its very easy to break down

Into lots of parts and its easy to put it back together. just grab the wing safty and turn it counter clockwise one click........then one more click and it slides off. It all comes apart and its pretty easy to put back together. Don't be scared to clean it. Bilrus61

· Registered
695 Posts
If you are getting too many misfires, you may want to check the headspace. Also, check the chamber to make sure that it is clean and that the round drops in easily. What might be happening is that the round is not seating fully with the rim against the chamber face. If there is no hard resistance when the firing pin hits the rim, i.e. the cartridge is moving, you might experience some misfires.
Al

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got around to going to the new smithy that moved into the area and I ordered a new spring for the striker and a new ejector , as it was having ejection problems too . He ran a bore past through the barrel and mopped it and said for an old gun the barrel and chamber looked good . Anyhoot , I'm going to give it a good brushing as he suggested , replace the striker spring as he seemed to think it could cause the extreme fliers I was getting . If that doesn't do the trick , then he will get into it deeper . Thanks for all the advice .
claketyclak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.