Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

52 B questions

659 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rrc870 
#1 ·
Hi guys, been lurking for a while and learning alot. Today 's events pushed me to post. long story short I can into possession of a 1949 mod. 52 B . I know nothing about target rifles . It has a canjar trigger and looks to be customized somewhat. I see several tapped holes, barrel and receiver and no sights at all. I would like to find some sights and shoot this rifle. I just know enough to know this rifle is something special. I see that the sights that were probably on this rifle are expensive, out of my reach. Is there some basic(read cheap) sights I could get and mount that would not hurt the gun but allow me to shoot. I do not even know enough about 52's to describe this rifle's features. If you ask about the features I will try to answer. Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks, rick

#2 ·
Just out of curiosity, where are the d&t holes? If there's two about midway up the barrel, two on the barrel just ahead of the receiver, and two on the side of the receiver, opposite of the bolt handle, then all the holes are factory. :t If there's any on top of the receiver, they're not factory. :( But anyhow, the only sights I know of for the 52 target rifles are the old Lyman and Redfield target sights. CMP sells some (scroll all the way down), you should be able to find them on Ebay too. They're not exactly cheap anywhere, so be ready for that.

Good luck with the 52B! :t

#3 ·
kyrifleman, it has the holes you mention and it looks like a flat was milled on top just rear of the bolt opening on the receiver with 2 dt holes. I can not afford the good sights right now so I was thinking of mounting a modest scope. Is there a way for me to determine what bases would be needed since the milled flat appears custom. I have never been down that road before. I assume the front base would use the factory holes in barrel just in front of the receiver. Also I have a question about the barrel crown. It looks flat but blued. Is that the factory condition? Thanks for the help. What part of ky you in? I used to live in Springfield.

#4 ·
Unless the flat milled on the top of the receiver is just bare metal, I'd guess it's factory. I believe that was an option on 52Bs. The holes in the rear of the receiver of your rifle are for an old fashoned Unertl type scope. They're a good deal longer than modern scopes and the windage and elevation adjustments are made on the mounts. The price of one of these scopes plus the mounts would be several times the cost of a pair of sights. I've never used one (unfortunately, I don't even have a 52! :rolleyes: ), but I agree with Pdwight's comment. You said that it looks somewhat customized already, but you might as well avoid any further modification to the rifle.

BTW, I'm in Shepherdsville KY. That's about 20 miles south of Louisville. :t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.