Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I'm looking for some help here. I've got a really nice model 514 with a really horrible trigger. It has to be about 10 or 12 lbs anyway.

Looking at the schmatic on the Numerich parts website it looks mighty basic. The trigger looks like it's pinned to the bolt housing or action. A minimum of moving parts. It must work directly on the bolt one way or another.

I don't have any gunsmithing experience but made a living as a mechanic for a few years. This should be something I can handle. I just don't want to go into it blind if I can learn anything up front.

I've got a couple of other Remington SS's that are suffering from the same problem but look more complicated. I'll get to them later.

Does anyone have any info they can pass on that might keep me out of trouble? I'd appreciate it.

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
514 ???...

Tom,

I loved my 514.
Had it for...39 years, since I was 13. What a glorious Christmas present. I joined a rifle club right away and learned to be a 'triggerman'. If it had a trigger I could shoot it. BTW this was my only rifle (we were very close).
As you know the 514, as is, has no checkering, is a single shot, no peep sights, not grooved for a scope...but at 50 feet all shots went into the 10 ring.

I guess I mean to say...it's base...but shooting well with it is very easy (practice practice practice). If your in the mood for learning, the 12 pound trigger can creep to a few ounces just the way it is before you touch her off. :) Squeeze don't jerk still applies.
Nice long barrel I loved it became a very good marksman but never changed a thing on the rifle...oh, I added sling studs and refinished the stock. Had carried, hunted and shot it plenty for all those years.
I babied it and miss it dearly just the way it was. Be happy with simple and take good care of it. Just a utilitarian rifle but it was my dream come true.
I don't have it any more, sigh but have a scoped Anschutz 1451. Now I shoot at longer range with confidence.
Be happy and good shooting.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi writeon,

I know what you mean about the old Remingtons. I grew up with a Model 510. Being left handed it wasn't the most convienent but I really didn't know the difference. I still have a 510 and it's still a good rifle. Has a better trigger then the 514 but not great.
I just bought an old model 24 last weekend. Don't look like much but shoots pretty good. I haven't quite figured out when it was made but the next oldest one is a model 41. I'd sure like to know the stories behind them all.

If you know anyone looking for a model 550-1 I have one that I'm thinking of selling.

Onward & Upward

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Collecting

Hi Tom,

No thanks I'm not a collector just a shooter. The Anschutz and I are getting very comfortable with each other. I found Dynapoints group just fine. If I can master this the way I did the 514...I should be happy for a very long time.

Sure - wish I had one of everything - but I'm happy being able to learn to use this one rifle well.

Actually - working at shooting, hunting, etc. vs. working to own more is my preference.

I'm a lefty too :) but learned to shoot right handed. My right eye is dominant so it all worked out for the best.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just last week bought myself an Anschutz Model 64 MP R .22. I have a scope ordered for it so haven't shot it yet but can't wait. I'll keep your choice of ammo in mind. By the way, it's the LH version!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remington 514 trigger

I have two Remington 514's. Both of mine had heavy trigger pulls also. I greatly improved the trigger pulls by:
1. remove bolt
2. drive out the pin that holds the trigger in place. When the trigger is removed the trigger spring will fall out if you are not careful. On top of the trigger spring is a steel ball and possibly a retainer between the steel ball and the spring. Do NOT loose these pieces.
3. This is a good time to clean out any gunk (old grease, dirt) from the trigger and trigger area. It's also a great idea to spray the heck out of the bolt with gun scrubber.
4. Shorten the trigger spring. Go slow. I shortened the springs on my 514's a half coil and re-assembled. I kept shortening the springs a half coil at a time until I got the pull down to about 5 or 6 pounds. I then shortened the springs one quarter of a coil at a time until I got the pulls down to about two pounds. I then shortened the springs about one eighth of a coil until I got the pulls down to one pound. Both of my rifles are still safe with one pound pull weight. Can't guarantee that yours will be safe at one pound, but since there is quite a bit of travel before the trigger releases the firing pin, it should be safe. This can be checked by closing the bolt fast and hard. If the firing pin does not stay in the cocked position the pull weight needs to be heavier, which means a new spring. I've not needed to replace the springs, but would check with Numerich arms, and maybe Wolf Springs if I needed one.
5. One of my 514's had a rough trigger pull. It felt gritty. I had a gunsmith polish the end of the trigger which engages the firing pin. He also polished the area of the firing pin that mates with the trigger. He didn't charge much for the work, and it was well worth the money. The polishing reduced the trigger pull to below one pound. The rifle still functions safely and I can't imagine a smoother trigger pull.

Both of my 514's are now easy to shoot. Not much worse, in my opinion, than trying to fight a hard trigger pull.

Hope this helps.

lynn

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lynn,

I had a smith cut my spring down and the pull isn't bad but not great. The problem is the spring isn't enough to keep the bolt from flying open if barely touched and ejecting the round. Does yours do this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got one of my 514's down to about 2.5 lbs. I also installed an overtravel adjustment. This particular rifle has a .920 diameter barrel a and can hold groups under .45" at 50 yards. Things you need to look at
Firing pin
Firing pin spring
Trigger
Trigger spring
all engagment surfaces
Do youself a favor and ditch the bolt detent ball and retainer, they don't provide any benefit.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
514 bolt

The bolt on my 514 is sticky. I mean real sticky.
Somewhere it feels like it binds up. It can only be removed from the rifle by applying much force and it is nearly impossible to de-cock. To appemt to do so usually (99%) just releases the firing pin and would fire the rifle if it was loaded.
I have examined the receiver/bolt to look for worn scraped places that might be the point of binding, but can find nothing. Any advice?

·
Registered
672 Posts
The metal on my 514 bolt seems to "gall" or get sticky over time. I polish it with fine steel wool or bronze wool and the bolt works smoother. Use the best gun oil you can find will help keep it free. I have had my 514 since 1948, nice rifle. Bob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
REA said:
Tmix

Does your 514 bolt fly open real easy if bumped?
Yes, it will, but only if the bolt is cocked and ready to fire. I don't close the bolt until I'm ready to fire anyway.
As far as the bolt being sticky, you can polish the inside of the reciever with some emery paper on a rod chucked in a drill to help remove any high spots. You can also remove the firing pin from the bolt and chuck it up in a drill or drill press and polish it with some sandpaper to make cocking a little smoother. Also look at the sear area on the trigger you can polish a little on this area too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.