Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt jammed 1/2 way open on my 511. I thought I'd take it apart to see if I could find the cause. Now I can't put it back together in functioning order even though I have a exploded diagram of the gun.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for a reputable shop to re-assemble, as well as give the gun a good once over.
The gun was given to me by my father-in-law, so I really want to have it repaired.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank You!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
PM me yer e-mail address & I'll send ya a PDF in Adobe Acrobat of the Remington Field Service Manual for the 5-teen-X rifles. It is a complete assembly/disassembly instructions with illustrations, exploded diagram(s), parts list, & a trouble shooting section with Q&A.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
The NRA published a series of books on firearms disassembly and repair--their instructions are illustrated and detailed. The first two times I tore down a 5-teen, I used the manual. Now I just tear in to them.

The NRA books are available on Amazon.com and you might just check any used bookstores in your area.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Did you "uncock" the bolt when you had it out? It needs to be cocked to re-install it.
You know it. I have done this a few times then sat there like a dumbie for 3 hours messin with it before going ohhhhhhhh yah forgot, click wow it slides right in.

Can you take pictures of the parts you have? If you have something close to mine. I could probley walk you threw putting it together. The problem with the exploded views is that it has all the different parts for all the different models.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Nope--got to reassemble the bolt completely and then cock it. I just grab a shop towel and grip the cylindrical part of the bolt, and then "lift up" the bolt handle to cock it. If that is too hard, you can try putting the bolt in a vise (padded jaws) or hold it with a set of vise grips/channel-lock pliers (padding also) and then lifting up on the bolt handle.

However, I think you will be able to do it by hand--

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Also check to see if an extractor or bolt cross pin was backed out slightly. They can creep out if loose and snag when the bolt is reinserted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, I'd like to thank everybody. This site has been a great help!

I reassemble the gun, bolt slid into place nicely, it went "click" when I pulled the trigger, But the bolt will only back up about 1/2 inch. It appears to be catching on the ejector (part 18 of the exploded view). I have to "nudge" the ejector to get the bolt back into the gun when I'm reinserting it into the gun. I've disassembled and reassembled several times with the same result. It can only go in one way, so I don't think I'm putting it in wrong. the extractors are moving freely, so I don't believe anything in the bolt is frozen. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Could the extractor be bent?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Bend the ejector slightly to get it out of the way. You dont even have to disassemble to get it done. Just tap it one way or pry it the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bend the ejector slightly to get it out of the way. You dont even have to disassemble to get it done. Just tap it one way or pry it the other.
I tried that, nearly snapped it in half, now it needs to be replaced. Time to see the gunsmith.

Side note: where can I buy parts for this?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Assemble the rifle without the ejector and see if the problem goes away. If it does then I can send you a new ejector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got the rifle repaired (W00T!). Turns out it was the ejector. A special thanks to Ralfus for the ejector, and Nobody for the service manual. I'd would have shelled out to a gunsmith without you guys.

Thanks Again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.