Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,499 Posts
If somebody wants a nice 22 revolver and can't find a good old K22, the 617 isn't a bad alternative. With the Stainless Steel finish and the 10 shot cylinder they are great shooters and they will look great decades later. They won't show holster wear and the 10 shot cylinder is a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I have a M617 with the three "T"s. 6" bbl. and it shoots better the further the range. I had a 4" M617 and it would not hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yds. Sold it. I also have a, all matching numbered, 4" K-22 Masterpiece that I bought at the Reno gun show last year for $400 that is extremely accurate. There are some deals out there. Money talks right now. Big Larry:D

·
Registered
14,923 Posts
MaDeuce,
You wanna make a hundred bucks?:D
I also happen to have a 1948 K-22.It too, was a bargain when I got it about six years ago.The original owner was a military officer who took it with him to Germany in the early fifties,where it was engraved(plus silver wire work) and received custom target thumbrest grips.I bought it from his son.Gun saw a lot of use(and dry firing-ugh) but is a work of art imo.I replaced the large grips with some nice pre-war grips,so that all of the engraving is revealed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Does anyone know the serial # break for pre-war? My wife got me one for my birthday 20+ years ago and I have always wondered when it was made. It is just a neat gun to have anyway!!:cool:
Hello
The Outdoorsman series which was Pre-War runs in the 65,000 serial range. I am not familiar with the first K-22 Masterpiece series of 1940 but can tell you all Post War K-22's had the K-Prefix in front of the serial number. Here is serial number [email protected] that shipped in November of 1947. I paid $500.00 for it early this spring as it had a Low Four digit serial number and I lacked an early Post-War model to go with my Pre-War Outdoorsman that shipped in November 1936. You will Notice even though it shipped Post-War it still has the Pre-War style extractor with the mushroom head...Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks gentlemen!

My SN is 263xx with no K, which I guess is pre-war, but it appears the extractor rod was replaced if the pre-wars were all the mushroom head. Mine is a straight knurled like the newer K-22s. That would certainly take away a few bucks from the value.

I appreciate the info!!

Joe

·
Registered
547 Posts
You are right Dean...I pulled the grips and sure enough there is a K and a 4 digit serial number. I had looked on the crane and on the frame and there was no K...so I guess it was wishful thinking that it was a pre-war gun. The numbers on the frame and crane do not match the number on the butt...not sure what that means.

Thanks for the info and learning experience!!:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
sure enough there is a K and a 4 digit serial number.
Hey, a 3rd Model K-22 with a 4 digit number ain't nothing to sneeze at. As said earlier, the post-war K-22 third models started at K101, so your's should be first or second year production. (I don't keep up with the post-war stuff, but someone here should be able to nail it down a little closer.)

Dean

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dean,

No sneezing here....a little history on the gun....it came from the son of an old Alaska homesteader who came to Alaska durng WW2 and stayed. I got it in late 1987 in a trade for something I don't recall. The old boy was a friend of Atz Kilcher, who is Jewel Kilcher's (the singer) father.

My wife and I owned a gun shop in Homer, AK and she noticied I was very fond of the gun. I was doing some bush flying to villages in the area for Cook Inlet Aviation at the time and I came home one day and she told me she sold it. In Feb 89 I got it back as a birthday present. I still have the original Lawrence holster as well. My guess is it spent most of it's life on East End road in Homer, AK...sure wish it could talk!! I'm sure no one else cares, but I do.

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.