Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a fair bit if work getting CZ's wiping varnish (that they call "oil" - its not...) out of a Premium stock, and then giving it 2 coats of pure tung oil and 2 coats of genuine Danish Oil (then a final Tung oil), I'm satisfied. It has that satiny smooth feel like the modern Anschutzs. I disike gloss finishes, so no way did I go that route.

A real 457 Premium of course has iron sights, but thanks to the 457 versatility, I put a 457 Australian (no, I'm not calling it American, m'kay!) into it, and I love it. Be nicer unthreaded, but options ;)

A little of the work I did:
1. Remove CZ poly-oil with acetone. Lots of acetone. This also removed most of the colour from the faux ebony tip, making all the lamination stand out excessively
2. Redyed the "ebony" tip from Black Japan spirit dye. You now can see its wood, but can't see the laminate layers easily
3. Fine scraped with oblique edge of a cutthroat razor, then 00 steel wooled (CZ left a fair bit of sanding marks visible in raking light- best way to deal with these is with a VERY sharp edge - I don't like using scrapers per se like Mark Novak, but I do use a cutthroat or GEM razor)
4. rectified a knot hole right next to the bolt handle cut. Character :)
5. Oiled with tung oil and Danish oil. Hand rubbed.
6. Let's set up, which has been challenging given the winter cold and flooding rains (remember i am Down Under)
7. Final rub with 0000
8. Finally thin hand rub of unthinned tung oil

Is it a wood lotto winner? Well I love it. Its 3/4 coverage tiger striping, with very scintillating bands, and lots of chattoyance. Depends on lighting - its too wet here still to take outside.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Bicycle part Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm of two minds if whether to recut the chequering, and in doing so also cut through the branding in the foreend panels.

The poly in the chequering is thick and hard...I''ve tried already - chips out. Ordered a new set of final cut blades for the chequering set :)

I'm also starting to get that butter-knife bolt handle tingle again.... :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm scouring all the websites I know for the compact...nothing yet. There are the usual suspect side parallax modern ones, but that's not me.

Found an old 1.5-5 Leupold compact (for what I consider too much at $450 US)....I'll try haggling :)

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
How about a closer look at the Schnabel.

I can easily see the laminated layers on mine but don’t see that as a problem since it was advertised as a “decorative forend tip” and not ebony. I do think it would look better with a darker finish.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm of two minds if whether to recut the chequering, and in doing so also cut through the branding in the foreend panels.

The poly in the chequering is thick and hard...I''ve tried already - chips out. Ordered a new set of final cut blades for the chequering set :)

I'm also starting to get that butter-knife bolt handle tingle again.... :p
Personally, I would be loath to lose the brands in the fore end panels. Could you hit the panels with stripper to maybe lighten them a bit? Otherwise: Very Nice and I am reconsidering MK's advice re stock finish.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personally, I would be loath to lose the brands in the fore end panels. Could you hit the panels with stripper to maybe lighten them a bit? Otherwise: Very Nice and I am reconsidering MK's advice re stock finish.
Now mine has really starting polymerising/curing, the chequering panels are lightening up a bit.

Why CZ slopped so much finish in the chequering of these, and yet not so much in the "lesser versions is odd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts