Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

452 Lux and Bullet Weights

486 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Essayons
So I did what I ought and went to Gander Mtn for a sampling of .22LR bullets to find what my 452 Lux likes best, so it will become my squirrel death ray.

So I went to the counter, and asked what do you have? Then the guy starts pulling out box after box of Wolf, CCI, Rem, Fed, etc. I ended up with 450 rounds, costing about $30. In the mix was some CCI Green Tag 40 gr bullets. Those were $10.99 per 100, almost twice as much as anything else, but they didn't really shoot any better.

My question is, what bullet weight do you find that work in your CZ? I assume they all have the same twist, but maybe not...

Thanks.

-ts22
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Most Hollow Points work better for hunting rounds.
Have you tried CCI SGB (small game bullets)?
Green Tag has not worked that good for me. Standard velocity hollow points would be the first rounds I would try.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CCI Mini-mag solids worked pretty darned good - as well or better than the Green Tags. Wolff teneded to string a bit, but that could also have been me. I thought the solids would be more consistent than the hollow points, but that was just a hunch. I'll try some Small Game Loads; that might be the trick! :t

All were fired out of a "dirty" bore at 50 paces, from a rest. My scope is a piece of crap Redfield 6x off a use M95 7x57.

· Registered
67 Posts
targetshooter22 said:
CCI Mini-mag solids worked pretty darned good - as well or better than the Green Tags.

A great many of the posts about "what brand" give CCI MiniMag at least
honorable mention along with whatever other brand was mentioned. In my own case, of nine or ten, it was Rem-Eley Club Extra and MiniMag HPs.
With the MiniMags having a slight edge because of having less drop at
100yds from a 50yd zero.

· Registered
15 Posts
Ive found CCI Blazers to be the best bulk ammo for my 452...not very good for hunting as they are just a plain round nose, but they are great for target work. For hunting, i usually use CCI Velocitors...great performance at a good price. I prefer them over the stingers as they are far more accurate out of any rifle ive tried them in and give up little in performance. They make mince meat out of any p-dog, sparrow or squirel inside of 100 yards and are deadly on rabbits.

· Registered
174 Posts
My Lux really likes Winchester Xpert 22 Hollow Point bulk pack. Shoots groups as good as with Mini-Mags, CCI Subsonics, Remington Subsonics, and far better than Federal Bulk Pack (These shot the worst groups and worst overall accuracy in my Lux). I picked up some Aguila to test out but haven't had them out yet.

Winchester seems to do sweet things in my CZ, as the Wildcat Solids shoot fantastically... but with the big hollow point, the Winchester Xpert 22 are deadly to small animals. For hunting squirrels, rabbits, pigeons, starlings or crows, that is what I use.

:t

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the same experience with those Xperts, but have been a little reluctant to publically say so, for fear of eing branded a fibber. ;)

Odd how some really cheap junk (I have to assume anything that low cost in ammo is junk) works just as good as some real high quality ammo. They shoot circles around Fed Gold Match in my gun. The Green Tags, Rem. Target ammo, and Mini-Mags were all real good too.

· Registered
53 Posts
American Eagle AE 22 38 grain hollow point.
Winchester Expert hollow point.
Winchester power point.
My 452 SE shoots these very well and they are listed in order of
preference that my rifle shoots best,with the american eagle being the
best. These are all high enough velocity to work on game for a humane
kill. :AR15firin

· Registered
13,237 Posts
I think all of the CZ 452s have the same twist (1:14 if I'm not mistaken), but for some strange reason, each gun has their own 'favorite' ammunition that group well. Only way to see how yours will shoot shoot it is find out for yourself.

When you find it, run RUN RUN back to the store and buy as much of that stock run # as possible. :)

Hope this helps.

Editted later: oops - someone very kindly asked me to revise that twist rate above - the actual listed twist rate is 1:16, not 1:14 . My apologies - I spoke off the cuff. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.