Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here (been lurking for a month or so gleaning the insights.) I don't like price opinion threads, but now I've got one.

I've been thinking of buying a CZ 452 and found a NIB 452 Lux 2E for what will be about $312 out the door.

Good price?

·
Registered
332 Posts
CZ452 Super Exclusive/Lux 2E

I paid $314 out the door for my SE two years ago. We don't get many CZ here in Seattle, and one in the hand is worht 2 in the catalog. They are such great firearms that the price you pay now - wont make much difference in two years, you will just be glad that you have it. Alan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I went back and now waiting on the NICS folks to get off their haunches and do whatever they do that enables me to go shooting new toys.

One question though. Nowhere on the receiver or barrel is it stamped "Lux." The gun shops tag just says, "CZ 452 Special." It has the iron sights, the walnut stock with checkering on the pistol grip, a schnabel forend. So this is the Lux, right?

What's the 2E?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
John 828,

The only difference that I know between them is that the Lux has the walnut stock and the Special has the beech stock.

Looking at the price though, it seems to me you might be getting the Special. Around here the Specials go for around that price, but the Lux's go for around $50 more.

Look at the stock and see if it is really walnut. If it is walnut then it's the Lux.

Hope this helps.

Craig N.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
What does the rifle in question have stamped on the barrel? I have a "Mod. 2-E" that clearly says "BRNO" on it and has the circular CZ logo. Mine was made in 1992.

Is it possible that you're looking at a "New-Old Stock" BRNO rifle made before everything became just "CZ"? It may also have "AAL Phil. PA" stamped on it and they were the previous importers of CZ guns. It may also say "Made in Czechoslovakia" on the right side of the receiver.

If it's a BRNO, my advice is to grab it! The quality will be as good as those being imported today.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now you got me wondering...and, I thought found a deal. At I can be saved by NICS since I was delayed and put no money down. First time, I am somewhat glad that I get delayed every **** time.

So, here's a newbie question, how can I tell if it is walnut or beech? It sure is stained dark like walnut.

And tell me more about the stampings I am supposed to look for.

All I want is a decent gun at a decent price. I want to punch some paper and this fall, I want to be eating fried squirrel.

Also, for some reason, I thought the specials/trainers had no checkering and the Luxs had checkering on the pistol grip.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
John,

Got no clue on the checkering, but either way you will have a nice rifle. With the prices of the CZ's going up, you can't find a 452 around here anymore for less than $400.

The one way I know to check for walnut is to pull the barreled action out of the stock and check the inletting. Other than that it can be difficult. Although someone here I'm sure will have a neat little trick to do it. Don't fret, it's still a decent deal either way.

Craig N.

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts
Even if it's not walnut, that's still a decent price on a Trainer locally and is on par with Whittaker's price, who I often use as a good price benchmark. :)
http://www.whittakerguns.com/
Note: look in the new rimfire section.

If it happens to be a Lux, that price is very good! :t

·
Registered
252 Posts
John,
You have to look at the grain. Go to CZ's website and look that the grain in the trainer, good pic of beech.

HUUMMMM you are in Arkansas $ 300.00 for another CZ.... Tell you what I will do for you...You tell me where this gun is and if it's close enough I will go take a look at it fer ya. And if it looks good I 'll even have you over to shoot it:D

Serious you need to look at something to compare the wood to say and old Marlin 60 most were stained dark but were beech.
Deltashooter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMAO. Delta, it's over at Ft. Thompson's in Sherwood and it's mine! :mad:

All kidding aside, I am getting it as soon as the Feds decide I am a law abiding citizen.

Whatever furniture it's wearing really doesn't matter. I just want to get it out and give it a good home.

·
Registered
936 Posts
John828, either way it is a fair deal IMO. The old Trainer had no checkering, the Special had checkering in the pistol grip area. At least that is what my local CZ gurus told me. When I ordered my Trainer last year, it came with checkering and every one I have seen since has checkering. Looks like they made it standard now.

The grain on the beech stocks frequently has a fingernail shaped pattern to it. Like someone took their fingernail and pressed it to the wood to mark it. Best way I know how to describe it, anyway. Walnut has more straight graining, usually. Enjoy the new toy!

Jay

·
Registered
252 Posts
I Can"t Believe It !!

John,
I was just in there...Saturday. First time that I have been in there and DID NOT look at the guns..... WELL SUGAR... was looking for a sling for my varmint.
Didn't find anything that tickled my fancy so started making my own.
If you get it out this week and get her ready to shoot and need a place to pile brass I'm thinking of having a few people out Saturday for a little shoot..4 miles north of the Remington Arms plant.

Congrads on the CZ. Ft. Thompson's is a Great place to go.. walk in there and they don't me from Jack but they treat you like they have known you all of your life:bthumb:

Deltashooter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John,
If you get it out this week and get her ready to shoot and need a place to pile brass I'm thinking of having a few people out Saturday for a little shoot..4 miles north of the Remington Arms plant.

Deltashooter
I work Saturday, but, I was planning on trying to skip out a little early and head up to the game and fish range in Mayflower if I get it out by then. I've been going there once or twice a week since I moved back down here from Minnesota in December.

The CZ will be the first rifle I've shot in ten years, so it will be "fun" to see how rusty I am especially with iron sights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks beammeup...

At $289, it has to be the beech stocked trainer besides they have it marked "452 Special," and from what I've learned, the trainer is the special. I guess. All the variations have me confused.

Not too worried. Just going to get it, clean it, shoot it and repeat steps 2 and 3.

·
Registered
252 Posts
John,
Offer is open not only for Saturday but most weekends. Backyard range up to better than 1/2 mile+ refeshments:bthumb: And if you will let me have a few rounds with your girl I will let you do the same with mine....guns of course;)
Deltashooter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.