Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

44US Range Report

598 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  p_jackson
I tried to figure out which of my early SN 44's was the most accurate. Natch, the wind played havoc.....I can never seem to get the time to shoot on calm days!:( Anyway, they all shot about the same but 212 was the marginal winner. All 3 rifles managed at least 1 score of 47 wind and all. Golden Eagle match and target, 50 yards. Regards, Rick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
That does it! I'm going to the range next weekend come hell or high water. Good for you Rick! Ya got out and got in some shootin'. Looks like some pretty good shootin too.:bthumb:

· Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are some nice Mossies Rick, how did you com up with the low serial numbers? Local finds? Thanks for posting them,

Joe
Hello Joe. 100035 popped up on GB about 3 years ago,,,,$350 delivered buy it now. 100195 is a CMP barreled action that a friend found at the South store $75( I have about $250 total in the restoration. 100212 was a internet find, had the wrong stock and receiver sight so I picked it cheap. I also have NWSC 0004 so I've been lucky with low numbers. 100035 is the lowest SN reported here, National Mossberg Collectors Association and other military and Mossberg forums. I'm sure there is a lower one out there somewhere so I keep looking! Regards, Rick.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
Rick:
I've always gone with if a bullet touches a line, it counts toward the higher score. Actually, it was one of the moderators on the on the ironsight match forum told me this.
47 or 49, it's still some excellent shooting my friend. Why don't you post it over on the match forums? Great group over there. They always enjoy seeing the "old" iron join in.
Pete

· Registered
2,272 Posts
That does it! I'm going to the range next weekend come hell or high water. Good for you Rick! Ya got out and got in some shootin'. Looks like some pretty good shootin too.:bthumb:
Yeah, right! The weather we're having, it will most likely be high water.
Do you even remember how to get to the range anymore?:D

· Registered
63 Posts
Good for you! These old Mossies were made to shoot.....we need to see more range reports! Regards, Rick.
Amen! My late father in law left me his old 44US. We had it for 10 years before taking it out to the range last summer. All I had to do to get it ready was to order an aperture for the old Lyman sight.

Long story short, this rifle hadn't been fired in 50 years. A little cleaning and a lookover by a gunsmith .... and it shot beautifully!

I took my wife of 30 years out to shoot "Dad's rifle." Her first shot from 50 yards was dead one, in the middle, deadsolidperfect....bullseye.

The grin on her face and the tear in her eye said it all.

A beautiful rifle and an even better memory.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
Amen! My late father in law left me his old 44US. We had it for 10 years before taking it out to the range last summer. All I had to do to get it ready was to order an aperture for the old Lyman sight.

Long story short, this rifle hadn't been fired in 50 years. A little cleaning and a lookover by a gunsmith .... and it shot beautifully!

I took my wife of 30 years out to shoot "Dad's rifle." Her first shot from 50 yards was dead one, in the middle, deadsolidperfect....bullseye.

The grin on her face and the tear in her eye said it all.

A beautiful rifle and an even better memory.
Wow-first post on RFC is a touching story that sent a chill up my spine. How wonderful!
Thanks for taking you wife shooting and coming here to tell us about it! Please return.
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.