Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good (accurate) is a stock 40X barrel...22" long and .810 dia....I saw a take off for sale and was curious if it would be good for a project gun....didn't see a 22" 40X listed on Remingtons site.......
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Like many other objects in life, this barrel may have started as something else, then was modified to suit its owner. Its possible that it exited the Remington shop as a 22" barrel or may have begun life as a 26" or 28" barrel. I believe that Remington listed them all at one point. A quality individual with a lathe can do wonders with a quality barrel. One of my rifle smith acquaintances routinely comes up with Winchester 52 and 40X barrels that he recuts and chambers for whatever a customer wants.

Will it be good for a project gun? This begs the question, "what's your project?"
If you are in the market for a heavy barrelled .22, I'd risk it if the seller is reputable.

I had a similar experience, I had a Standard rifle converted to silhouette guise, and to do so required a much lighter barrel. A stool shooter friend happened to have a sporter weight 40X barrel for sporter class benchrest shooting. I quickly liberated it and turned my 11.5 pound rifle into an 8 pounder (changed stocks too...).

What's the price?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The project would be an unsanctioned bench gun using a Savage 22lr action...and the gent is asking $100.00 for the barrel...actually the Savage shoots pretty well now with the original heavy barrel...but of course it could always be just abit better !!!
Thanks for the reply;
glenn

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cowboy4 said:
Interesting. That's what I paid for my 40X barrel. What do you mean by "unsanctioned"? Is there a rule about using a factory barrel in benchrest shooting?
Unsanctioned simply implies that you are shooting under NO organizations rules such as USBR or ARA etc. They are just fun shoots at the local level...and you pretty much make your own rules to follow.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.