Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one of these at a Pawn Shop the other day and the price on it was $350! Are they really worth that much. It is in pretty good condition but WOW. It looks very much like my Rem. 511 and the price difference has me confused. Are Winchesters that much more expensive? Are they worth the difference in quality or is it just an emotional thing?

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, I really want to know.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
cjsdad -

I thought I was pretty familiar with the older Winchester 22's, but 39A is a new one on me. I have a couple of 69-A's that are somewhat similar to the Rem 511 (have a couple of those also).

I personally don't think the quality of the Win's are much better than the Rem's. It's probably more name than anything else. I see the 69's and 69-A's going in the online auctions anywhere from $200-400 depending on condition. The later models with grooved receivers appear to worth more, or at least bring more in the auctions.

I got my best one (in nice shape) for just over $200 and the other for much less. It shoots great but isn't much to look at, very little finish left and the stock is scratched and gouged pretty badly. I'm thinking of having it drilled a tapped (my eyes aren't up to iron sights anymore), refinish the stock, and try my hand at a rust blue job. Since it is a "beater" anyway, I don't think I can hurt its value.

I do like the push button mag release in the left side of the stock on the 69 series. The Win 75 has the same receiver and mag release. The Win 52's have a similar release except it is on the right side of the stock.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it must be a 69A then. It has the mag release button you mentioned and the reciever is grooved for a 3/8 dovetail scope mount. It is in probably 90 to 95% condition but I didn't know that Win. rimfires commanded that kind of pricing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.