Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an older 39a mounty from around 58-mid 60's that i would like to take appart for a good cleaning. anyone have a site that gives pictures and step by step instructions for taking one apart and getting it back together without any left over parts?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
JimHnSTL

This is from the Marlin Owner's Manual:

Make sure gun is Unloaded.

With the lever closed and the hammer in the safety position (half cock), loosen the takedown screw until it is floppy in the receiver.(Do not try to remove it completely)

Hold the butt section of the rifle firmly and tap the the muzzle against a padded firm surface. Do not touch the lever during this procedure. You may have to tap several times if the rifle is new or hasn't been taken down for a long while. You can then remove the breech bolt by sliding it to rear as far as it will go and lifting it out.

To prevent damage to the Ejector while cleaning , hold it down as far as it will go with a small screwdriver and at the same time insert another small screwdriver into the slotted rivet just ahead of the ejector. Turn the rivet slightly until the ejector is locked down.

When you are done cleaning, unlock the ejector and reverse the process. Be sure the breechbolt is as far forward as it will go and that the two receiver parts are completely mated. (Smooth and Flat)

You can cal Marlin at 800-544-8892 for a free Owner's Manual. It has pictures to help guide you thru this process.

Hope this helps.

P.S. DON'T TOUCH THE LEVER DURING THIS PROCEDURE

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Remove lever,etc.

Sorry. I can't help with that. That may be a job for a gunsmith.

You may want to post this question on the Marlin Firearms Marlin Talk forum.

Further dis-assembly is not covered in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a '63 Mountie, but I've been doing the disassembly for so long it's just a habit and I can't give you step by step instructions. The short answer is - there are only a few parts once you break the gun in half and they are easy to get to. Take the gun apart gently and you'll see.

The hardest part is remembering to lock and unlock the ejector.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.