Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and shot a 200-11x at 25 yards with my UL and Brno sights...I was feeling pretty good about myself until I remembered I was using A23/5 targets at 25 yards...oops...

I'm pretty bummed out because my A23/5 targets at 50 yds are nothing to crow about :(

So I'm beginning to wonder if my 57 yr old eyes can cut it with the proper target and peep sights.

If the A23/5 is the official target for 50 yards, what is the 25 yard official target? Thanks... :)

· Premium Member
7,858 Posts
Here's a link to the RFC 25 yd iron sight target affectionately known as "the beast":

http://southpondcottages.com/metaleer/RFC-P-25-11.pdf

10-ring is 1/4", X-ring is 1/10" ...yeah, it IS the Beast!!

It takes 2 targets to submit for a score... 200-14x was my best last year. Spring is warming up here, time to get out and try again! :D

:coolgleam

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gerald, COW54,

Gee whizz...I need to be 10 years old again to see these things :D

I think the solid back target will be easier to see...I wonder why the RFC match target only has a black ring instead of being all black?

Either way...I'm shooting on a prayer with these targets... :eek:

Thanks!

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Nothing wrong with shooting the A23/5 target at 25 yards - we measure our shooting success and progress against ourselves first and foremost. Shoot what you like and can see well and we'll be cheering you on! :bthumb:

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Timberbeast :D

Using the A23 at 25 yds I shot 200 -11X and later used all five targets and did 248 - 13X...so maybe if I put a 100 yd target at 50 yds it would look better! LOL... regardless, thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to the range tomorrow and try some of the targets I downloaded for 25 yds and see how it goes. It is a good time regardless... Regards, Cman

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Don't get discouraged. You'll see improvement if you keep at it.

Was looking though a spreadsheet of my scores yesterday and was shocked at the scores I was shooting when I first started shooting those targets. 160-180 with an x here and there. Measure groups too as it tells me what ammo groups better (which helps with your x count as you improve). Some of the groups were in the 2-4 inch range. But, kept with it and now like the open sights more than scopes.

Good friend of mine just started this with a UL. His first few targets kind of bummed him out. His eyesight was hurting his scores. Stuck an adjustable Iris on the back and got two 200 targets with a good amount of x's on his last two targets shot. You just have to get the right "look" for you and the scores will improve dramatically.

Shooting the 23/5 at 50 yards to me looks like 5 little black dots. It's neat to see the centers blown out as you walk to the target after shooting. Can't see a lick up close, but the sights do work. Just keep with it.

Good luck with this, and again, don't give up.

Kenny

· Registered
23 Posts
The A-7/5 or A-7/10 is the 4P 25 yard target. The 10 ring is .335 inches, and the actual bull is 2.335" (6 ring).

The A-23 target has a .89" 10 ring with an X of .39", on these targets the 8 ring is 2.89. So if you had a pile of A-23 targets lying around you just need to keep all your shots in the 8 ring which would be the rough equivalent of keeping all shots "in the black" on the 25 yard A-7.

My club uses the NBSRA hunter bench target for our off-hand matches at 25 yards. The 10 ring is 1/2" inch and the X is .06".

We also have 50 foot gallery shooting on Tuesdays where we use the Wyoming Schuetzen Union target. The bull is 2" and the x ring is .25". The NRA A-17 series targets are the "official" 50 foot series which also provide quite the challenge.

You can find a bunch of nice targets for a real challenge at places like

www.pistoleer.com or

http://americantargetcompany.com/

No affiliation with either site...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.