Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
IMR 4350 is my favorite powder for nearly everything I shoot. My best load is 42 grains of 4350 behind a 100 grain bullet. Also used 4350 with good success on bullets as light as 70 grains. I used both CCI and Remington primers, depending on what I could get locally. I liked Sierra, Remington and Nosler Partition 100 gr. bullets.

That said, it has been a good long while since I've loaded or shot a 243; my pet rifle disappeared when I wasn't looking. Looking for a replacement now.

I used Win 760 a lot too. Being round, it works better in a powder measure than the 4350 (tubular shape).

Look at your loading manuals. Do not try my favorite without referring to one or more manuals and working up to it from the minimum.

The 243 is a great little cartridge. I've killed more deer with it than anything else. Just don't try to kill them at 600 yds. BTW, I always hunt deer with 100 grain bullets. Use the light stuff for crows and coyotes.

EJ

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I have just loaded two diffrent loads both with sierra flat based bullets....one with WW760.....the other with IMR 4350.....

let ya know how it shoots soon.....

Chromie

I used IMR 4350 in the 105 grain Speer handloads I mentioned earlier. I like stick powders even if I do have to use a trickler. I am not a volume reloader so this meticulous little task is fun occasionally.

Here is a picture of my .243. It is a Model 70 that I purchased new in 1977. It is not one of the "cool" ones but it has always been a good shooter and I am quite attached to it. It has the long action with a magazine block. They had not started manufacturing Model 70s with the shorter action yet. I ordered the Leupold M8 fixed 6 power scope, Leupold rings, and Leupold one piece base from Gander Mountain at the same time. I removed the open sights a few years later.

Reading back through the thread, I noticed that I failed to mention that the 100gr Nosler partition that I loved so much is not made anymore. It was what they called a semi-spitzer and had a slightly rounded nose. Closest thing to it now from Nosler is the 95gr Spitzer.

With my pet load, I would have just used it interchangeably with the 100gr after shooting to see if it hit close to sight-in. I don't remember whether I actually shot any of the 95gr, but I do have some bullets on the shelf, but no loaded rounds.

EJ

Discussion starter · #27 ·
well I was up late....

so late I told you guys I loaded W760 and 4350when really it was W760 and IMR7828.....I went to the range this morning to see how they would compare...and this is what I found......W760 had an average group size of .791 and the IMR 7828 had an average group size of .644....both of these loads were 40gr of powder,CCI benchrest primers and 100gr Sierra flat based bullets.....stat tuned for there is more to come.....I have 2 more powders and three more bullets to test.....

.BTW I'm not disputing the fact that the 100gr Nosler Part. were discontinued but I can still get them from graf and sons, along with the 95 gr partitions.....which is one of the other bullets I still have to test....

Chromie

Thanks for the reply. I have added Graf to my favorites for reloading supplies. The do show a 100 gr partition spitzer, which is a good thing, but it is not the same bullet that I used years ago as it is a true spitzer, not the older semi=pointed shape.

I always got very good accuracy from all of the Sierra bullets I handloaded.

Your groups look very acceptable. I hope my "new" 243 groups that well when I find it.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
proven load

Well...it seems as though the 7828 and sierra 100gr bullet has proven to be a keeper load.....the other day I went to check my fathers cows and ended up shooting a coyote in the face at 218 steps.IIRC....I can't see any reason not to load some more of this load and play some more..... still have a few more combo's to try but I like this one pretty good so far....I guess I should also tell ya that I missed one completely last night out the kitchen window at close to the same range....don't know what happened there.....sure made the Ol'Lady jump and cuss though.....:D

Chromie

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.