Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a mat went went out to try the 17 hmr long range,it was finally an evening of no wind.made several kills over 150 and had a head shot on a big rabbit at 240 still working ot the hold over but we managed to get 9 rabbits for 11 shots so we did ok.shot the 340 yard rabbit through the head he was stood upright dont think i could of repeated the shot with out more practice but just cant get over hoe the 17 allows you to take such long accurate shots.

·
Registered
691 Posts
JOHNB9 said:
"340 yard rabbit through the head" are you joking? Are you going to defend this claim?
Why not? I killed a Prarie dog at 340 a couple of weeks ago with my 17. My other two buddies got them at 355 and 367. And that is not a typo they are 300+ yard kills. You hit a rabit in the head at that range and he will drop. So, even though it was a typo, it is not unreasonable at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
daletheman_3 said:
Why not? I killed a Prarie dog at 340 a couple of weeks ago with my 17. My other two buddies got them at 355 and 367. And that is not a typo they are 300+ yard kills. You hit a rabit in the head at that range and he will drop. So, even though it was a typo, it is not unreasonable at all.
Well ............. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here but I simply don't buy it. Even when sighted in at 250 yards, which is over stretching this little round, the 17HMR has a 30 inch drop at 350 yards and is down to 38 fpe. Even the .223 is starting to get tired at that range and is not pushed much further out past that mark.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Gohon said:
Well ............. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here but I simply don't buy it. Even when sighted in at 250 yards, which is over stretching this little round, the 17HMR has a 30 inch drop at 350 yards and is down to 38 fpe. Even the .223 is starting to get tired at that range and is not pushed much further out past that mark.
Go ahead, don't buy it, but saying that it is not so when you have no first hand experience is not right. Since you want to try to compare the .223 with it, then I guess you don't want to hear about my confirmed 510 yard kill with it either.
The 17 is an awsome lil' round and has more capability than some give it credit for. I am not telling you that you have to shoot at those long ranges, that is your choice. But I really get tired of self proclaimed experts telling me what my guns can and can not do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go ahead, don't buy it, but saying that it is not so when you have no first hand experience is not right.
Who said I have no experience?............... more guessing on your part? I own and shoot two different 17HMR's and almost every day. I'm very well aware of their capabilities. At 350 yards a prairie dogs head would be covered by the cross hairs of the scope. Any hit with the amount of hold over you need is pure luck and I suspect in most cases the animal suffers a lingering death down inside his hole because some yoyo just had to try for a lucky shot. If a hunter can't be sure that his shot will deliver a killing blow each time, short of the occasional miss, then he has no business squeezing the trigger. A shooter needs to understand the limitations of his gun and equipment and stay within those limitations. There are enough keyboard rambos out here without adding to them. You want to throw lead down range for bragging rights on the lucky hits the go ahead. I prefer to work within the one shot one kill range and pass on the ridiculous shots. To each is own......

·
Registered
691 Posts
Gohon said:
Who said I have no experience?............... more guessing on your part? ..
That was my only guess and with your previous statements it was a pretty good one. You acted like it just could not be done, so he was chalanged to defend it even after he admitted it was a typo. You just same as admitted that you have no experience at those ranges because you choose not to. THAT is your choice and I have no problem with that. Have you shot prarie dogs before? I am asking because I don't want to offend you and "guess". My buddies and I do not work out at those ranges because we want bragging rights. We do it to challenge ourselves. In my last p doggin trip here a couple of weeks ago I shot SEVERAL at ranges of 350+ with my .223, and several at 225+ with the 17. VERY few made it back down in their holes. I am going to venture to say that there are few if any pdog shooters that have not had one make it back in their hole on them. They can be very tough critters sometimes.

"At 350 yards a prairie dogs head would be covered by the cross hairs of the scope."

Now who is guessing.... You ever look through a 32X scope? At that range you can pick out his eye.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Long range

Hi guys,not trying to "fuel the fire" but i'm the one that made the 367 yd. kill on the P.D. that Dale was talking about.Just wanted to say that the crosshair does not cover the whole dog,as Dale said 32x lets you aim at just the head if you want.At 225 to 250 yds. the hits were nearly too easy with our .17's.Many were killed at 300+yds with the .17's.As to the .223 running out of steam at the range we are talking about......"don't bet on it" At 350 yds. i "vaporized" ones head and yes it was on purpose.Perhaps we were lucky or maybe just fairly good shots with good rifles that we know[i started shooting rifles at the age of 3 and i'm 53 now.]So anyway i try never to assume someones lieing till i prove it myself. :1t
Colt.45

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
please understand that my kill ws 240 yards and not 340 that was simply a typing error .i would not shoot a rabbit at 340 yards i have not the skill to be humane at that range.i do not doubt that people have made kills with the 17 hmr out past 300.i can do it but am sure that some people can .so when one of them post a about a kill say at 320 yards are you just going to say he is a lying.and then when he prooves it you just look an idiot for opening your mouth to soon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
best shots always happen when you are alone . I have made some myself and have been ragged about it so I learned not to tell about them all. Remember the one about the Preacher that stayed home sick on Sunday but went golfing? :1t .....and got a hole in one? :D He wanted to brag but....... :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
SHREDINATOR said:
I wouldnt be calling Hawkeye1 a liar unless I had some proof, got any proof Gohon?
Well, It seems you have things a little confused......... Proof for what? My comments were addressed to daletheman_3, not Hawkeye1. So back it up a little and read it again so you know what is being said and to which party okay. Now I see where daletheman_3 is back tracking and saying 225 yards with the 17HMR and 350 yards with a 223. Sure sounds a lot different than his first claim of 340 yards for himself and 367 yards for his buddies with the 17HMR. Oh BTW, to Colt45, I never the said the .223 was runing out of steam at 350 yards. Looks like you guys story telling follows along the same lines as you repeating what was actually said. Sorry, but if someone says they are consistently hitting PD's at 340 plus yards with a 17HMR then I have no qualms in calling it a bs story but at the same time I'm not calling anyone a liar. That's a harsh word when all I mean is the story has in my opinion been adjusted for special affects.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.