Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.22WRF ammo in a .22WMR

851 5
well can ya? I have heard this both ways and even read it in Mag. articals both ways,,,just wondering for myself.

seems to me like it would be the same as shooting a short in a LR chamber,,,,if it would cycle it should work,,,not that I want to try it for the first time!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'll let ya' know!

I mistakenly bought a box of .22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) a while back and have been wondering the same thing. I've also heard it both ways, and SCREW IT! I'll find out MYSELF!
I doubt that they'll fully cycle the action, but they'll do for breaking in the new barrel. I just don't see a problem here.

Take Care - Dakotan

·
Registered
815 Posts
I remember when that question first came up.

I had quoted something I had read at an ammo supplier's website about how it should NOT be done.

IIRC, it was BigMike that corrected me by posting the demensions and "stats".

I don't think there would be a "problem"...just lousy accuracy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That might be another "wait and see."

The WRF bullets are 45 grains as opposed to the lighter WMR rounds, and even though both bullets are .224" the WRFs may or may not like the Magnum barrel's twist rate.
The lower velocity of the WRF could be a factor here as well.
I think they'll be "ok", but like I said, I doubt they'll fully cycle the 10/22 Magnum's action.

Now if it would just quit SNOWING so I could find out!:mad:

arrgh- Dakotan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.