Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.22WMR VS. "The Black Squirrel"

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  squacks 
#1 ·
Last November I was small game hunting with a buddy of mine in Long Island's pine barrens region. We were sitting in a log, B.S.ing when we noticed a black squirrel jumping about on some branches up above.

He must have been about 15-20yds out and about 15-25 feet or so up this pine. My buddy and I scrambled to get a bead on this sucker before he took off. And we were determined to beat each other out for the shot.

I had my crosshairs right on him and I pulled the trigger just as he was jumping over to a nearby branch. Almost simultaneously, I heard 2 shots. Our guns went off practically in unison.

The squirrel's head whipped back and he fell to the ground with a thud. Upon examination He had only one entry wound to the back portion of his skull. We were both using the same ammo (CCI 40gr. Maxi-Mag HP's) and neither one of us is sure, to this day, who actually bagged our little friend.

Needless to say, we both claim to have made that shot.

I still have the cured pelt as a reminder... :D

Would love to hear any interesting tales from you guys about .22mag hunting... :Blasting_

See less See more
#3 ·
sitting in a log=Big tree :D
Had been a slow day deer hunting mid afternoon and Hot so we decided to change up what we were hunting. Had been seeing squirrels all morning up and down the ridge line. dave had the .22 ruger and I had the marlin 25mn This grey had run up the tree and was playing dodge the bullet with Dave who was about 20 yds from the squirrel. 10 shots later the squirrel was directly over dave's head and he was out of ammo so I leveled out on the squirrel about 70 yards and squeezed a shot; the squirrel falls at daves feet but not before dripping blood all over his head. He said the squirrel died from a previous shot but the little furball only had one clean shot in the head and it was too much damage for a .22. I let him have the Squirrel and shot 2 more out of trees about 10 and 15 yds from him that he hadn't seen. Same head shot with similar wounds. I gave these to him also problem was when we got back to the house he wanted me to skin em for him. Says he forgot how. Wayne skinned one for him took about 4-5 minutes and I skinned the other two took about 2 minutes. Skinned ,cleaned and cut up ready for the pot. The Squacks method using the game shears courtesy of Boltaction.These are truly some of the best squirrel hunters I know. Great day.

#5 ·
Well talking about sq hunting. I took the wife out last year for some. She had her 20ga and I had my 22lr. We would just walk around the pecan farm and shoot them up. To make a long story short. Her 20ga with an extra full choke and #6 had a great day. She limited out in 10 shots. I had to shoot 14 for mine and none took more than 1 shot. It was a sad day for me. But the best part was she had fun.

Ray

#8 ·
my favorite squirel kill was with my pellet gun at about 30 yards or so at the top of a big tree. He was a little hidden in the branches, it felt pretty rewarding. My worst was this fall I missed one at about 15 yards standing still with a shotgun. Oh well S*#t happens.

Jay

#9 ·
welllllllllllllllll

i gotta tell u , u people are better hunters then i am cause when i hunt with a rifle i try for head shots and i miss alot. i seldom get the limit, heck most of the time im aiming and not breathing hoping for a opening where i can see the critter.truth is i could kill a lot more with a shotgun then a rifle.guess i need to practice more huh.
i never sen a black squirrel , the collage has did have a bunch of white ones around .
david

#10 ·
newshooter, i am kinda like on the same idea as you. I do better bringing home squirrels with the 12 guage than i do the .22. I think i limited out (6 in pa) if you count kills, but i didnt take all of them home, i mangled one really really bad and it didnt have anything left that wasnt tore up and edible. I have yet to have a day where all 6 are take home.

#12 ·
Cool posts guys,

Jeez, I never thought of bagging those little critters with a 12 ga. shotgun before. Wow, is there anything left of them to take back???

newshooter04,

Black squirrels can be common in New York, especially upstate or on Long Island. But we don't have white ones. That's pretty cool, I never seen or heard of one before.

Over here we just get them grey, brownish and black. :D

#13 ·
tackmaster, 12 guage is common in my area, especially early season before the leaves fall. Normally #6 or #4 somewhere around a 1 oz load. You dont need anything super powerful. Modified or full choke. I'd say something like under 30 yards for range.
These were some starting guidelines my dad gave me. My dad just uses some ole single shot 12 guage he got used 30 years ago that is light to carry around, and laughs at me for toting a heavy rem 870 pump. Old guys think they are funny picking on us younguns.

Newshooter probably has been doing this more years than i have been alive him being older than dirt, so he might have some other or better info for ya.

#14 ·
Sharkman8810,

See, I learn something new every day.

My knowledge of shotguns is somewhat limited I suppose. I own a Mossberg 500 and a side-by-side Stoeger, both in 12ga. To me these things are like cannons. I only take em' out to blow stuff up... Lol. :D

I never got into chokes or different types of shot etc. I've only run 1 oz. 2 3/4" or 3" mag slugs or 00 Buck through them. And boy what a punch.

But, cool info buddy, thanx... :t

#15 ·
wellllllllllllllllllll

i am older than dirt and the 12 gauge is a handy round, i have seen it in 2 inch, 21/2, 23/4 3,and the new rounds larger than 3. i don't have much use for anything cept 23/4 the light load will kill most game well.
the nra mag has a article on the 12 gauge this month that is pretty interesting. i have used the 2 inch and it is about like a 20 ga. i got to admit tho the 16 is my fav. the gun comapnies discounded the 16 so they could sell more 12 and 20 gauges i supect but the 16 is a great all around shell.
the best squirrel round is the 28 gauge i think.i have a remington pump in 28 thats not muc h bigger then a 410.

david

#16 ·
although i have not hunted a squirrel in many a year with a shotgun, a lot of folks do.

i have made this statement in the past and will repeat it again. if a person can only own one gun then a 3" chambered 12ga shotgun is the most versitile gun you can own.

it will shoot shot loads from 7/8 oz - 2 oz and rifled slugs as well. note that a 7/8 oz. load is a 20 ga. LIGHT load. that load is just a hair heavier than a .410 3" load. a 12 ga. gun itself does not mean it will shoot things to bits. it's the load of shot that does it. if a person shoots a shotgun at game a lot, he will get to where he knows that at a certain range he must "draw off" and use the edge of the pattern to make the kill. there is no point at all in shooting at something so close that the animal is unusable. it would be better to wait until a better shot presents itself or not shoot at all. at really close yardage you must consider the shotgun to be a rifle and shoot at the tip of the squirrels nose in the broadside aspect.

i grew up hunting squirrels with a shotgun and it was rare to shoot one up bad enough to toss it. it just takes practice in learning what your gun does at differant yardages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.