Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a 22mag rifle.
One of the main criteria is a rifle model has hi capacity mags available for it. The only one that I am aware of is a bolt action tube fed style.

Who makes the mags and what gun? Can any one shed a light on this subject?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
No one makes any hi-cap magazines for either of the popular 22 magnum rifles that are now available. Your limited to 9 for Ruger, 7 for Marlin and I believe 5 for Savage. Guessing on the Savage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
clint said:
No demand for them, ammo cost etc. 22lr is used for plinking a lot, but 22 mag is used mostly for hunting.

Marlin makes a 22 mag lever action, not sure how many rounds it holds.

Clint
Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Makes sense though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marlin has a 12 round bolt action tube fed 22mag.

How is the Brno 611 22mag is it a good gun?

I guess I am in the minority, but I think a 22mag semi-auto rifle with a high capacity mag would be a good defense weapon. You could alternate the ammo in the magazine with solids and hollow points, it only 5-1/2 lbs., it is easy to carry, you could shoot it one handed if needed, the muzzle blast will not totally wreck your vision or hearing, and there are many handguns to go with it. I have read several articles by police professionals who have stated that a 22mag handgun is a good backup weapon. Being easy to handle and light my wife could also shoot it if need be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am absolutely with you, I really like your idea.

The .22mag with a 25-30 round magazine full of soft points would make a GREAT defence rifle.
But I would add a good pistol grip stock to the rifle.

But thats only a dream, no one would ever make a high-cap magazine for it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
kemosabi45 said:
Marlin has a 12 round bolt action tube fed 22mag.

How is the Brno 611 22mag is it a good gun?

I guess I am in the minority, but I think a 22mag semi-auto rifle with a high capacity mag would be a good defense weapon. You could alternate the ammo in the magazine with solids and hollow points, it only 5-1/2 lbs., it is easy to carry, you could shoot it one handed if needed, the muzzle blast will not totally wreck your vision or hearing, and there are many handguns to go with it. I have read several articles by police professionals who have stated that a 22mag handgun is a good backup weapon. Being easy to handle and light my wife could also shoot it if need be.
Police pros may have stated that .22 Mag makes a good back-up weapon, but that's the thing. BACK-UP! You'll not find any law enforcement folks relying on a .22 Mag as their primary weapon because, although a .22 Mag can and will kill somebody, it would likely take too long. So, since the pros look for stopping ability, and not killing ability, they would never choose any .22, Mag or LR.
As for the wives, my little lady has, on occasion, shot snakes (in the country, of course) with my .357 Magnum and has qualified with, and carried for ten years now, a Model 27 Glock .40 S&W. Don't underestimate the little ladys.
In my opinion only, home defense is best served with a shotgun, and concealed carry for self defense should be 9mm or larger, preferably larger.
All of that in the 'for what it's worth', and 'in my opinion' catagory.
eljay

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would be nice to have a high-cap for the RBM. I wonder how much it would cost to make one? I would think that it would be a good seller for owners of 10/22 RBM's. I know I would buy a few.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
jotto said:
Interesting, I wonder why there aren't any for the Ruger 10/22RBM like there are for the .22 LR 10/22?
The shape of the HMR and the Mach2 17 bullets do not lend themselves well to stacking in in-line magazines. The M2 v-shape will jam horribly in Eagle and Butler Creek in line hicap mags. Took me forever to unload the M2 bullets from my inline hi cap mags. Not fun at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
clint said:
No demand for them, ammo cost etc. 22lr is used for plinking a lot, but 22 mag is used mostly for hunting.

Marlin makes a 22 mag lever action, not sure how many rounds it holds.

Clint
When did Marlin start making a lever action .22 Mag.? If they do I know what my next firearm purchase will be!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check This Thread

kemosabi45 said:
I would like to get a 22mag rifle.
One of the main criteria is a rifle model has hi capacity mags available for it. The only one that I am aware of is a bolt action tube fed style.

Who makes the mags and what gun? Can any one shed a light on this subject?
Kemosabi,

Check out this thread. We were all sending emails asking for it.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72828

Lib

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.