Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide what caliber of handgun to get. Not only will it be a plinker I would like to use it while fishing. I'm a little girl when it comes to snakes and frogs...and bugs and worms - you get the picture...:D

Does the 22mag offer a signifant density advantage over the 22lr in shooting the shotshells? Even if they did, I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money buying regular ammo for it...I'll have to think some more on that issue.

While we're at it...are the 357 shotshells going to be a signficant step up from the 22mag?

Any website you know of that has done reviews on the varouis calibers, brands, and picture patterns of shotshells?

thanks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don't think the subject of .22WMR "Shot Shells" has ever come up, before.

I've never tried them, myself.

The only load that I've read about is:

CCI 52gr #11 shot
Muzzle Velocity == 1000fps

Long Rifle loads:

Federal 25gr #10 shot --(mv) ?
CCI 31gr #12 -- (mv = 950fps)
Winchester #12 --(no other data given)

Maybe, "little" john (our resident snake charmer) has some experiance with the shot shell.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wheel Gun option

I know Ruger and several other single six wheel gun makers that chamber there's in 22 rimfire give you both a 22LR and a 22WMR cylinder. That way you could use which ever you ended up liking. If you dont mind a single six it might be a good option. The muzzle blast from regular 22WMR in a pistol is pretty loud.

I would think you would get alot better performance out of the 22WRM shot shells. As ski pointed out you get about twice the amount of shot at similar velocities. Similar to a 12 gage shotgun having about twice (1 - 1 1/4 ox shot) the shot a 410 has (1/2 - 11/16 oz shot) at about the same velocities. I would expect a similar improvement from 22LR to 22WMR shot shells as you get going from a 410 shotgun to a 12 gage. But remember is still a 22 rimfire.

Just my $0.02
mcb

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do mind the single six :D
I've never shot one that would do better than 4 or 5 inches at 25yards with a rest.

mcb, I was thinking that as well. Double the shot in theory should double the density with little effect on the pattern.

thanks.
anyone else :confused: :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Curtis sed: " Does the 22mag offer a signifant density advantage over the 22lr in shooting the shotshells?
&
While we're at it...are the 357 shotshells going to be a signficant step up from the 22mag?"

No. Yes. (In that order.)

The .22lr & .22WRM are efficient rounds largely because of their limited case capacity. Have you ever noticed that people that hunt w/ shotguns tend to go w/ the largest shell they can comfortably carry & shoot (& hit with?) That's because shotshells need to devote a considerable portion of their volume to space for the shot charge.

A .357 has a LOT more space for shot than either of the rimfire calibers you mention. Another thing to keep in mind is that *any* pistol shot load is going to pattern *horribly* just because of the rifling in the barrel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
howdy curtis shotshell is my middle name when it comes to snakes. be it a riot gun or .22. out of a (pistol) .22, .38, 357, .40cal. the pattern is crap. close range only. ive shot dozens of snakes last year with shot shell. on the farm i allways load the first round shot. then back it up with what ever. in 22/45 or p-22 or any auto pistol you will have to cycle the slide by hand. also cci dont seem to get stuck in the chamber as much as others. but they have a plastic cap holding the shot that can break and make a mess. just remember close range. my closest shot was about a foot. didnt see him and he was curled and ready to strike. but most shots are 3 or 4 foot away.
btw ski whats this little john sh$t. i aint no humdinger. p.m. me your address again gonna see if i can see your place from my secret plane. :D :D
john

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the farthest shot you've taken with a shotshell?

10-12 feet I assume is the max.

I don't worry about many posionous snakes. Maybe a copperhead or cottonmouth but that's not what I'm looking to use it for. Just little bitty frogs and watersnakes as those icky bass turds swim away mostly :D :rolleyes:
So shooting a shotshell or using it for fishing really isn't a big deal at all since personal safety isn't an issue. I just know I don't want to shoot a bullet into the water just in case someone is walking by that I don't see.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i did a test a while back i'll see if i can find it. i think at 6 foot it would break a beer bottle at 10 or 15 foot it just took the paper label off :eek: :eek:
now thats a .22 lr out of a pistol. the 357 and .40 cal are alot more potient.
john

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks for stopping by, john!

I kinda figgered you had experiance with all kinds of stuff, considering your love of snakes!

BWAHAHAHA!

"little" john......

Nothing meant, by that. ;)

Some folks had ya confused with John McCaw.

:D :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
speakin bouts John McCaw ya ot to see the pizza i'm gonna try by scratch tonight.:D :D if it looks like the pic. he posted i'll post it but i blew up my pizza stone. sounded like a .40 cal going off.:eek: :eek:
john

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
DON'T get me started with those Pizzas!!

I don't wanna see a pic or anything!

During my Christmas "vacation", in GA with the family, I was forced to "choke down" "Dominoe's"!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.