Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting more and more comfortable with my new Marlin 880SQ. Found that Winchester Dynapoints and Wolf Match Target do the best in this gun for me.

I've got my 50 yd groups down to about a dime or so usually now. About to try 100 yds when it's nice enough outside.

What would be considered very good groups for a mass production 22 rifle at 50 and 100 yards?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
comments on groop sizes

A very difficult question to answer not knowing more information than provided ... Shooting 5 shot groops BR, I'd be VERY happy consistantly shooting 3/8" or less @ 50 yds. & 1 1/4" or less @ 100 yds. ...

That's my opinion :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
running boar said:
Not many rifles you can go buy at wally world slap a scope on it and shoot bughole groups without some tweaking, sounds like you have a shooter :t
if you special order you can get better guns. and walmart used to carry the 917v...at 50 it was 5 shots in two almost touching holes for me. i need to work on 100 yard shooting (and get a better scope) but for woodchucks my rig works great.

id agree that 2" at 100 with a .22 lr is pretty good. add in a bit of wind and your groups wont be good at 100 although 50 yards cant take a bit of wind (from my experience).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Group Sizes

While I personally could live with a little less, I think you have to seek a minimum of 1/2" groups at 50 yards and 1" groups at 100 yards to really be doing top-notch accurate shooting. You can have fun and plink without having this accurate a setup, but that is what I think it takes to be talking some serious shooting. However, that being said, very few 22LR guns will do this from the factory. (It takes several things to do top rimfire shooting-- 1) good rifle 2) good ammo 3) good scope 4) solid rest 5) good conditions-minor if any wind). The 10-22 for example-- if you want to do that type of shooting figure on adding a green mountain or similar barrel and having a trigger job. Some of the CZ and Anshutz boys are getting some top notch groups without major mods, but few entry level rifles will do top notch shooting without some help. When you find a rifle that will do it, you know you have a keeper. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
what it takes

ky-shooter said:
While I personally could live with a little less, I think you have to seek a minimum of 1/2" groups at 50 yards and 1" groups at 100 yards to really be doing top-notch accurate shooting. You can have fun and plink without having this accurate a setup, but that is what I think it takes to be talking some serious shooting. However, that being said, very few 22LR guns will do this from the factory. (It takes several things to do top rimfire shooting-- 1) good rifle 2) good ammo 3) good scope 4) solid rest 5) good conditions-minor if any wind). The 10-22 for example-- if you want to do that type of shooting figure on adding a green mountain or similar barrel and having a trigger job. Some of the CZ and Anshutz boys are getting some top notch groups without major mods, but few entry level rifles will do top notch shooting without some help. When you find a rifle that will do it, you know you have a keeper. Just my $.02.
ky-shooter you forgot that the nut behind the bolt has to be up to the task.
practice,practice you know we all hate that practice :D keep :snipersmi

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Last year I tested 18 different .22 rifles and came up with the following standards:

Just about any kind of .22LR rifle, scoped and benched, should keep pretty much everything in 3/4" at 25 yards, and many/most kinds of ammo at or under 5/8". If you look you can probably find at least one kind of ammo that will go 1/2" or a bit less. A pretty good rifle shooting ammo it likes can consistently group 3/8" or a bit less. If you have an out-of-the-box combination that will do that, you have a pretty darn good gun.

In .22, when you double the distance, figure on tripling--not doubling--the group size.

At 50 yards, most guns will be in the 1 1/2" range, but find the ammo it likes and you can get that down to around an inch. A gun that will consistently shoot into 3/4" or 5/8" or less is pretty good. I am talking here about stock rifles, not special target or benchrest stuff.

At 100 yards, if your gun will shoot 2" groups or just a bit larger, you're doing good to start. Again, with some tuning and ammo selection you might be able to get a bit under 1 1/2". To consistently shoot 1" groups or better at 100 you need a target/benchrest grade gun, target ammo, perfect weather (no wind), and a bit of luck.

Others might report different experience, but that's mine.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nemohunter

Nemohunter,
No doubt, I should have added lots of practice as a critical component. Snake 45 also named something in the post after you that is not bad to have on your side either-- luck. I was thinking later about what I said in my post. I by no means was implying that I get 1/2" groups at 50yds or 1" groups at 100 every time I go out, because I certainly do not. My only point was I do not feel I have a bragging size group or one worthy to take a picture of, etc... unless it fits those specs. With that being said, I can still go out and have a great time shooting even when I am unable to pull off a bragging size group-- I feel there is more to shooting enjoyment than group size. And as far as the list I made of some important things required to do top-notch accurate shooting, those are just some things that came to mind immediately, but some other shooters may be able to add some other things required. Lets see, we have named 1) good rifle 2) good ammo 3) good sight, in my case a scope 4) good solid rest 5) good conditions 6) lots of practice 7) some (or lot of) luck 8) ?????????? What else could go here?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Agree !

Realistically with the average rifle, average ammunition, and shot by the average shooter, in my opinion, SNAKE's aprasial as to groop size is about right ! :t

·
Registered
29 Posts
My best group

With my CZ 452 Standard, bipods, Norinco 3-9X40 and Remington Subsonic HP my best group so far at 50 yards (actually 50 meters) is 12 mm.

Picture of that can be seen at:

http://www.22hunting.com/patruunatestit/kuvat/testi_remingtonsub2.jpg

In my website dedicated to .22LR guns I have recieved pictures from public with groups of 7 mm on them (Sako P96S Range, Lapua Super Club and Bushnell 6-24X40).

·
Registered
396 Posts
After you know how your rifle shoots it is time to get off the bench and for YOU to learn to shoot.

This was at 100 yards prone with a sling with ammo some of you call junk, CCI Blazer, with aperture sights.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For the newbies here ... could people please add some more detail to what they mean by "group size"? Do you mean 5-shot groups or 10-shot groups? Did you discount flyers (if yes how many)? Iron sights or scope? And most importantly, are we talking freestanding gun at the shoulder, or leaning against a tree with the gun resting against the trunk of the tree, or prone with the gun on a bipod, or from a benchrest with the gun supported in a vise-like arrangement?

I would be amazed if many people could do 1" groups at 100 yards, with 10-shot groups, iron sights, and freestanding without any gun rest. On the other hand, a rifle that can only do 3" groups at 25 yards, 5-shot, with a good scope from a benchrest, needs to go into the metal recycling bin.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The majority of people on this board shoot groups on the bench.

And no not many people can shoot 100 yard one inch groups standing but some can from prone.

Once you learn to use a sling you no longer need a bench.

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
I trash any rifle that won't hold better than one inch at 50 yards for five shot groups. Would be sorely disappointed if ten shot groups weren't smaller. I consider any rifle that holds 1/2'' to 3/4'' at 50 yards excellent accuracy, and better than 1/2'' superb. With match ammo, a really good bolt action .22 should hold 1'' to 1.5'' at 100 yards. Expect bulk and hunting ammo to hit 1.5'' to 2'' at 100 yards. Again, I would instantly trash any rifle that won't hold at least two inches at 100 yards, and expect 1.5'' minimum. Try a .17 caliber, they will totally trash a .22 long rifle at 100 yards. Even with shaky old me behind the stock, my CZ 452 American in .17HM2 will keep ALL five shot groups at 100 yards under 1-1/4'', with the bulk of the groups being around 3/4''. Some few groups have been as small as 1/2'' if the wind is down. I've never been able to do that with ANY .22 long rifle even with the finest ammo sold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
group size

The groups I'm getting shooting from a bench is usually around 1/2" for a 5 shot group at 50 yards. Same ammo from the bench, for 5 shot group at 100 yards is 1". At 200 yards from bench same ammo, 5 shot group I got a 4" group. I only got to do the 200 yard bench shooting one time, so I don't know for certain how repeatable I can be. The other yardage, I've done it often enough to give it merit, at least in my eyes. I don't discount flyers, just have to reshoot another group.

Base on what I'm getting, I'd say any rimfire rifle getting a 5-shot grouping of 3/4" (or better) at 50yds and 1.5" group (or better) at 100yds is a keeper.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The glass; don't forget that a scope sight helps, too

Snake45 said:
Last year I tested 18 different .22 rifles and came up with the following standards:

Just about any kind of .22LR rifle, scoped and benched, should keep pretty much everything in 3/4" at 25 yards, and many/most kinds of ammo at or under 5/8". If you look you can probably find at least one kind of ammo that will go 1/2" or a bit less. A pretty good rifle shooting ammo it likes can consistently group 3/8" or a bit less. If you have an out-of-the-box combination that will do that, you have a pretty darn good gun.

In .22, when you double the distance, figure on tripling--not doubling--the group size.

At 50 yards, most guns will be in the 1 1/2" range, but find the ammo it likes and you can get that down to around an inch. A gun that will consistently shoot into 3/4" or 5/8" or less is pretty good. I am talking here about stock rifles, not special target or benchrest stuff.

At 100 yards, if your gun will shoot 2" groups or just a bit larger, you're doing good to start. Again, with some tuning and ammo selection you might be able to get a bit under 1 1/2". To consistently shoot 1" groups or better at 100 you need a target/benchrest grade gun, target ammo, perfect weather (no wind), and a bit of luck.

Others might report different experience, but that's mine.
I agree w/Snake.

I would just add that a scope with decent magnification (say 24x) may help some shooters to improving group sizes @ 100 yards, or at greater distances, with a given rifle/ammo combo and a little practice w/stock rimfire rifles.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Real tight groops or putting them all in the ten ring are literally impossible for me to shoot unless I pick a specific condition and only shoot when the condition repeats itself ? And even then, I find this very difficult ! A steady breeze at all distances is one thing , but that occurance is rare ...

I really envy a shooter that can dope the wind and shoot well under those conditions ... Shooting in the wind isn't one of my "long suits" ...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Crete said:
I agree w/Snake.

I would just add that a scope with decent magnification (say 24x) may help some shooters to improving group sizes @ 100 yards, or at greater distances, with a given rifle/ammo combo and a little practice w/stock rimfire rifles.
a lot of magnification really helps when shooting at 100 yds. my groups shrank decently when i went from a 3x9 to a 6.5x20. :t

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
phil in alabama said:
I trash any rifle that won't hold better than one inch at 50 yards for five shot groups....Again, I would instantly trash any rifle that won't hold at least two inches at 100 yards, and expect 1.5'' minimum.
By "trash," do you mean you throw them in the garbage can, or do you mean you just say awful things about them to all their friends? If it's the former, if I send you some boxes and postage, would you send them to me? :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.