Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Looks like it! Is that P1 (or P38?) a .22lr trainer?
It is now! ;)

Started life as a pitted WWII frame and a cigar box full of random Walther parts. Couple years ago I bought a .22 top half off eBay, when you could still do that. Last winter (after shooting it 2000 rounds last summer) I blew it apart and cold-blued the frame, and replaced the grips with checkered post-wars. So here's what it looks like now:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've got a PPK/s and PP in 22lr - the P38 in 22lr has to be the coolest maybe some day I'll come across one but will probably have to trade my truck for it.

The German made Walthers are getting up there in price but they're worth it. Mine are fit and finished beautifully and they are very reliable with Minimags.
Nothing else (except maybe Colt 1911's) can compare to the quality and cool factor of the old Walthers.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Woe is me - why was I born with such empty pockets . . .

:)

Pretty stuff. I'd love a rimfire PPK. Have a Erma Excam RX22 .22 that fills the bill though. Even have a TPH that shoots reasonably well as well, so I should be satsified. Have a PP in .32acp - okay, I feel better now.

Nice to window shop though - such sweet things. Thanks for posting the link. :bthumb:

Snake, those pistols are awesome!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The PP and PPK were bought back in the '70s for prices that would make you cry today. And as I said, the P.38 was built up from a cigar box full of parts, bought very cheap. I paid $400 for the P.38 .22 top end and magazine. Would love to have at least one more .22 P.38 mag. Have only ever seen one listing on them and it was somewhere around $100, ouch! :eek: PP and PPK mags in .22 are available fairly reasonable. In fact I bought two .22 PPK mags off eBay a couple years ago for IIRC about $30 the pair.

JR, if you have an RX 22 you're really not missing anything not having a PPK. My RX 22 is more reliable, at least as accurate, and has a much better trigger pull than the PPK. Not being made of actual steel, though, about all it doesn't have is the weight.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Snake,
Magazines for 22lr P38's probably aren't going to get easier to find. Earl has them for $99
http://www.waltherusa.net/

Magazine, P38, 8-Shot, .22LR .22 LR Pic $ 99.00

I bought a mag that fits the PPK/s and PP last year for $90 and got a couple of extra springs. I've got 3 mags for each gun, I expect they will outlast me.

I found a couple mags several years ago for cheap, I think they were Triple K - they didn't work out very well - the origional Walther mags are top notch -

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JR, if you have an RX 22 you're really not missing anything not having a PPK. My RX 22 is more reliable, at least as accurate, and has a much better trigger pull than the PPK. Not being made of actual steel, though, about all it doesn't have is the weight.
Thanks Snake45 for the kind words. :bthumb: Maybe I should try and find another RX . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.